2014 Rifle Buck

Hornhunter32

I found this buck opening weekend while glassing, but he slipped out before I could get a shot. I went back to that spot the following Friday to see if I could find him again. After the sun came up, I glassed him up but he was 600 yards away on private land that we couldn't hunt. I decided to leave him and come back towards dark.

When I got back there later that afternoon, I found him again standing next to a slough 900 yards away. The wind was right so I started a stalk. It was going good until the doe he was with decided to go North instead of west. They ended up 700 yards away but he wouldn't give me a shot. She fed in the open but he stayed behind some cattails so all I had was a head and neck shot. I once again backed out and came back the next morning.

The next morning we were glassing from the truck and spotted three deer. It appeared to be a buck chasing two does. They ended up in a big slough so I called a few buddies to come over there so we could push it and hopefully kill him. While we were waiting for our buddies, a doe crossed the road and a few seconds later our buck popped out as well. I told my friend that was with me that it was time to kill him. I grabbed my 300 Jazz and took off on a dead run to the top of a hill. I got set up prone, ranged him at 603, dialed my scope and killed him. He didn't take another step. He scored 144 4/8. Not a bad public land deer.

After killing a bull Elk in Wyoming at 514 yards and now this buck at 603 yards, I'm a firm believer in the Berger 215's.

Attachments

• Buck1.jpg
    Buck1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Buck2.jpg
    Buck2.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 125
I have been very good. Have not been posting much lately, due to being very busy with work.

Yeah, I've been busy as well. I should be a dad any day now. I believe I read you are going back to Wyoming for elk and deer next year. That should be a blast! How did the hip surgery go?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.