2012 Colorado 6x6

great bull! what did he score?

There is a mandatory 60 day drying cycle at room temperature. So the earliest I can have him scored it December 26th, so I am working with the taxidermist and their B&C scoring guy to try and make that happen the week after Christmas.

When I scored him, I had him gross in the 340's and somewhere in the low 330's after deductions. Then for fun I estimated what he would score if he did not have broken tines and I got gross of mid 350's and in the high 340's after deductions. But this is the first bull I've ever scored myself so I would guess I'm pretty far off and probably error on the bigger side during my measurements. :D

I'll let you know when I get the official scoring!

Finally got a call over the weekend from the Boone and Crockett scoring expert who scored my bull... 322.5. And the B&C guy was really a very nice guy. Extremely professional and talked me through all kinds of cool stuff. Where I went wrong was how I scored each tine length... I brought each measurement down into the middle of the main beam instead of stopping at the top ridge of the beam.

Anyways, he was also telling me how nearly all of the big bulls he scores come from private land and guided hunts, and he seemed genuinely impressed that I was able to find such a nice bull self-guided on public land.

He also said his best guess on age was 6.5 years old... so this bull still had at least a few more good years as top dog had he not walked into my bullet. He also mentioned that the scars and broken tines were more aggressive than most bulls he has seen, and had he not had any broken tines he would have scored right at 330 with less than 3 inches of deductions.

So in my mind I shot a 330 bull that fought his way down to 322. :) The mount is supposed to be finished in April, and I can't wait. I'll post a few pics once I get it up on the wall.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.