2012 colo plains deer

rifle 57

I got this big body mule deer today Nov 4th. It was a one shot kill with my rem 700 in 300 win mag using 180 gn speer grand slam bullets. This was the first time that I have used these bullet and they seemed to get the job done. The big mulie was a 5x4 fairly heavey beams and a very large body that weighed 295 lbs. His rack is 26 inches wide. Not a record book deer by any means but I am real happy with him. The funny thing is I have been hunting white tails in this area for the last three days and have seen about 10 nice white tail bucks but have not been able to get a shot at one that I wanted to kill. Early today I was walking along the edge of a lake with trees between me and the lake on my right and sage brush and crp on my left and all at once I noticed a small spike white tailed buck ahead of me about 125 yrds standing at the edge of the cottonwood trees so I stoped to look at him and see if any thing else would be with him and shure enough this big mulie was behind him about 25 feet. So I droped down on my knees fliped my bypod out and droped the hammer on him and he spun around and headed for the trees and droped dead in the lake in 2 feet of water. So then I had to take my boots and socks off and wade in the water to get him in 40 degree weather. But I had a good hunt this year and saw alot of good bucks.
Loren.

Attachments

• 2012 buck 014.jpg
    2012 buck 014.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 2012 buck 011.jpg
    2012 buck 011.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 2012 buck 013.jpg
    2012 buck 013.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 85
  • speer grand slam 001.jpg
    speer grand slam 001.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Thanks guys!! I am still stoked.
We got the steaks and roasts cut and wraped tonight and will make the rest into sausage tomarrow.

Super!!! The total of inches dont matter on a buck like that. He is a TOAD!!:)
I'll bet the other bucks in his area didn't mess with him.

What a brute! Congrats!!! If you have not named him yet maybe you can call him Wade since he went for a swim.

HA HA !! Wade I like it.
This buck was a little on the old side and I thought that he might be a little tough to eat, but man I was wrong. The steaks are great and my buddy and I also made four kinds of sausage out of him. We used about 25 lbs of deer and 25 lbs of pork shoulder, and made polish,german, italian and sweet italian sausage. My wife made some spaghetti with the italian sausage and it was to die for. I noticed that when we butchered him that there was not any wild game smell to him at all. It is the best deer meat that I have ever got in 40 yrs of hunting deer. Of course in the area where I got him all he has been eating is corn,wheat, hay and good grass. I guess just because they are getting old that dont mean that they are not good to eat.
Thanks for all of your nice replys guys!!
Loren.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.