200yrd. zero question

Well if you zero your rifle at sea level and then shoot at 6000' using a solution obtained by from telling your solver that you have a 200 yard zero and you do not how can the solution be right?
By re zeroing just like you should do before any hunt.
The difference in pressure from sea level to 6000' is enough to not have a 200 yard zero at 6000' anymore. Correct?

There would be less of an error in the zero point from sea level to 6000' if you had a 100 yard zero would there not?
Do you want to be accurate? If you do, you rezero when you get to where you are hunting. If your hunt is going to involve great changes in elevation you note the change in zero between the elevations and correct as necessary.

If your difference is 1.4 MOA between 1000 and six thousand feet add/subtract as necessary from your final firing solution.

Therefor your solutions would have less error if one used a 100 yard zero versus a 200 yard zero when taking long range shots at various different altitudes
Eliminate the difference by eliminating the variable instead of guessing.

The math works perfectly but people do not realize ballistic solvers do not adjust for point of impact shifts to their zero when moving to much different elevations (pressures).
No, people seem unable to figure out how to adjust based on changes in POI due to elevation.

If you want the math to work you have to start with the right numbers to begin with.

Your trajectory is going to change from sea level to 6000' but it makes no difference if your have your rifle zeroed at 100 vs. 200 yds. You seem to be under the impression that a 100 yd zero will somehow give you less change and that's not true.

No matter where your zero is set, you'll need to reconfirm that zero at the new elevation then apply the corrected data for that elevation if you're twisting turrets.

I think you may have misunderstood my point. I have stated that if you do not re confirm your zero at a different elevation that the unconfirmed 100 yard zero will be closer to where it should be than the unconfirmed 200 yard zero. There by introducing less error into your shot solution at longer distances because the unconfirmed 100 yard zero has more accurate information to begin with.

I realize that there may not be a lot of change in the zero point for some cartridges as others but the OP didn't mention which cartridge he was using.

By re zeroing just like you should do before any hunt.
Do you want to be accurate? If you do, you rezero when you get to where you are hunting. If your hunt is going to involve great changes in elevation you note the change in zero between the elevations and correct as necessary.

If your difference is 1.4 MOA between 1000 and six thousand feet add/subtract as necessary from your final firing solution.

Eliminate the difference by eliminating the variable instead of guessing.

No, people seem unable to figure out how to adjust based on changes in POI due to elevation.

If you want the math to work you have to start with the right numbers to begin with.

Ok so it looks like you understand what I was trying to explain the case might be if you choose not to re zero your rifle. Not sure what the point of your post is exactly.

I think you may have misunderstood my point. I have stated that if you do not re confirm your zero at a different elevation that the unconfirmed 100 yard zero will be closer to where it should be than the unconfirmed 200 yard zero. There by introducing less error into your shot solution at longer distances because the unconfirmed 100 yard zero has more accurate information to begin with.

I realize that there may not be a lot of change in the zero point for some cartridges as others but the OP didn't mention which cartridge he was using.

What you are saying is technically correct about a 100 yard zero being less effected by a major change in atmospheric conditions compared to s 200 yard zero. For the majority of the rifles that would be relevant on this site for LRH the difference is so small that it is not discernible with most rifles used for LRH. For example the difference between 100ft and 6000ft elevation using my 6.5-284 is .1" at 200 yards using a 100 yard zero. This amount is well within the discernible error that can be obseved at 200 yards with my rifles .25-.5MOA precision. I personally prefer a 200 yard zero because I can dial in greater maximum range within one turret revolution. Additionally, most shooters would check their zero regardless of what range they zero their rifle at when conditions change radically. Interestingly, if have rarely had to adjust my 200 yard zero when traveling between my home location at 350ft elevation, and my hunting locations of 2400ft and 5000 ft. I do have to change my calculator inputs(or turret) for the elevation, and temperature change at the different locations. This is particularly critical for shooting beyond 500 yards. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.