200gn Sierra MatchKing #2231 30cal Magnums

DanMac

Hello Ladies and Gents,
I'm a long time reader, first time forum member and contributor.
I'd like to say thank you for the hours of reading I've done on these forums, I have gleaned quite a lot of info from these very pages.

I'm in the process of finishing a new 30-28 Nosler long range play build.
I have previously had with the 28 Nosler and thoroughly enjoyed feeding it the barrels, but I have now moved on to the 30 cal version and am looking for any experience with either the cartridge or the projectile listed above.

I see reports of guys getting 3100fps with these projectiles from 26"+ 30cal mags and was hoping to see if there were any real world users who could offer some information or verification?

I'm selecting this projectile for my target/long range shooting activities, not intending on taking animals with it, I will leave those duties to the 215/230 hybrids.
I see the SMK has an impressive G1 BC of .715 and wondered if it were possible to get the kinds of velocities that may rival the 28 Nosler's external ballistics - Again, purely from a long range target shooting point of view or at least close the gap a little.

I was very happy with the 183 SMK in the 28 Nosler and would like to explore options with the 30-28 Nosler to see if the V0 numbers could bring the performance gap a little closer.

The only big 30 I've played with in recent times was a factory Blaser in 300 Norma with a 27" barrel, unfortunately I let the rifle go as it was becoming too expensive to purchase replacement barrels for. The rifle also had such a long freebore, anything but the 230 grain Hybrids would be free of support once the projectile left the case, limiting the projie selection too just a few long 30's.

If there are any members with 30-28 Nosler experience, i'd be interested in hearing what sort of muzzle V0's you're seeing with particular powder/projectile combo's...
Couple of pictures of the current build, based on a Bat HR, 3.850" mag and bottom metal and running Bartlein 5r 1:8.5 tubes.

Cheers
Dan

tbjx6Ql.jpg

h03NO6W.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.