200 yard zeroing target.

ShootnMathews

I wasn't sure which category to put this question in but here's as good as anywhere I guess. When I zero a rifle at 100 yards I'll usually just put a 1/2" dot on a paper with a sharpie marker and that works fine. But at 200 yards the line thickness of my crosshairs will totally cover the dot up which makes it hard to be precise. So my question is what's your favorite target to zero a rifle at 200 yards??

I have a large supply of the sight in targets that are orange on the white paper. It is marked in 1 inch lines for easy scope adjustments. It has a large diamond in the center and four smaller squares in each corner. They are sold as "Redfield" or "Leupold" sight in targets. Easy to see well past 200 yards. They also have heavy orange horizontal and vertical lines that line up with the center diamond to help align your crosshairs at a distance if you have trouble seeing the center diamond.

Last edited:
Just hold the crosshairs so that the dot sits in one of the corners formed by the crosshairs. For example: hold the vertical crosshair along the right side of the dot while the horizontal crosshair is across the bottom of the dot. This will allow you to easily see the entire dot and helps you have a consistent hold. I do this all the time at 400yds.

I downloaded and printed these targets of the web. Pretty basic but works great for me. I like having vert and horizontal lines for precise alignment off a bench.

Attachments

• JUDlQOT.jpg
    JUDlQOT.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 51
  • rtZNgBU.png
    rtZNgBU.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 53
I like the 12" round shoot and see targets. Black background and I can see the orange dot in the middle. The only downside is they dont have the grid lines, but I have never found that to be problematic for me.

At times I will also use some of the orange target spot stickers. Having the ones that are larger, I think mine are 3" diameter. If I am using a normal paper target it helps to place in the middle.

Just hold the crosshairs so that the dot sits in one of the corners formed by the crosshairs. For example: hold the vertical crosshair along the right side of the dot while the horizontal crosshair is across the bottom of the dot. This will allow you to easily see the entire dot and helps you have a consistent hold. I do this all the time at 400yds.
Excellent idea that I never thought of. Thanks

I wasn't sure which category to put this question in but here's as good as anywhere I guess. When I zero a rifle at 100 yards I'll usually just put a 1/2" dot on a paper with a sharpie marker and that works fine. But at 200 yards the line thickness of my crosshairs will totally cover the dot up which makes it hard to be precise. So my question is what's your favorite target to zero a rifle at 200 yards??

I have different sized targets for different ranges. The one thing they share in common…..they are all a square box, outlined by a magic marker. The scope crosshairs barely fit into the box…..if the crosshairs are properly centered, there will be a tiny bit of white (target paper) showing in each quadrant of the box perimeter. The crosshairs never obscure the aiming dot……because there isn't one!

This is one of my homemade targets….note, it is marked in inches vertically and horizontally for ease in determining amount of adjustment needed! memtb

C1yTPtPl.jpg

Last edited:
I do the following for both zeroing a rifle and for shooting groups. The method works great for both applications: I use the 1" orange sticky dots at 100yds, the 2" orange sticky dots at 200yds, the 3" dots at 300yds, etc. The scope's black reticle contrasts nicely with the bright orange. By using the right-sized dot for each distance, the reticle divides the orange dot into an easy-to-see 4-piece quadrant when centered. Stick the dots to any blank paper, and you are GtG. Sticking them on a black background is particularly effective.

I used to print my own targets, but regular printer paper haphazardly tears at the bullet impact sites, rather than producing a nice round (i.e. easy to measure) hole. Plus, the orange sticky dots are a much brighter orange than my home printer could ever print.

Last edited:
Like @memtb I have all sorts of targets that I made up plus scavenged off web. I made this target up for short distances since it provided me nice acquisition for cross-hairs. Its a PDF but if you want Word PM me your email. I record load data as backup. Couple more from MI DNR website that are nice. The MI targets are strictly PDF but you can type in on the lines using the Adobe Fill and Sign function. Click on that and you can place the "character box" right on a line and type in so the target can be described before going to range if you are neat freak. Like me

Attachments

• 2021.10.16.Reticle-Target.pdf
    58.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Sight In Target.pdf
    397.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 6_up_-_50_Yd_Target_439355_7.pdf
    393.9 KB · Views: 67