500 and 800 yard zeroing

remingtonman_25_06

Sunday was a nice morning to go shoot. Very calm and sunny. I took my 270 with 150 game kings that shoot very well. Was wanting to practice on the 800 yard gong. Also took my dads 300 RUM (700 LSS) identical twin to mine. I have been playing with 210g vld's and 210g uld rbbt's. I have come to the conclusion my rifle is more accurate then my dads which is making this real tough for me. I am all about accuracy, my rifle was .75 at most, my dads rifle is .75 at best. OH well, after shooting factory sticks and hanging out at these long range sites, I know not to expect anythign better then MOA from a factory tube, if its better great though!!! Anyways, the 270 has been zeroed at 200 and shot at 500 and 800 already. Just practicing. I missed the 1st shot at 800, was good for wind, 4 clicks to the right. I went 3 clicks down and proceeded to hit the gong 3 out of the next 3. My buddy even shot at it once and hit it. First time he ever shot at 800 yards!! I got the 300 RUM out with the 210g uld rbbts. Now these are going 3000fps, just like the berger vlds. The vld's have a BC of .640 and its very **** close out to 1150 yards. Cant remeber exactly how many clicks it says to get to 1150, but it was only 1 or 2 off. Well I went with a .640 BC just to compare to the bergers. My scope was to be turned 1 full revolution on the MK4, then 2 clicks past 0. So I always say 0.2. Anyways, my first shot landed about a ft low. So I shot again, same spot. Obviously these do not have a BC higher then the bergers. I had to be 5 clicks higher then the bergers at 800 yards to be dead on. Once I was shooting dead on, I shot a 3 shot group that was 10 inches at 800 yards. Not the best, but not the worst. 2 were 4-5 inches, with a big flyer as always. The .270 shoots very well on paper out to 800. Usually holding MOA with the 150g sierra game kings. Both guns are ready for a shot out to 800 yards at most on deer size critters if the wind and shot presents itself. I also shot the 210g bergers and wildcats into wet newspaper at 100 yards. The wildcats held up a tad better. Some piece of the lead core was still intact, the berger was flat as a pancake and had no trace of a core. All in all, I dont know which bullet I would pick over the other. From my tests, the berger has a little higher BC, but is a little more explosive. However, I would be using the bullets for targets, coyotes, and deer, so how tough of a bullet do ya need?

Here is a pic of the 800 yard target from the 210g wildcats and the 300 RUM, and the 150g gamekings and 270 win. The circled shots are from the 300 RUM, the ones that have (X') are the 270 shots. The black square is 10" The bottom 2 circles are from the 300. These were the first 2 shots. It was definately low. I went up 4 clicks then shot 3 more, and thats my 3 shot group and its pretty zeroed for 800. 2 shots in the killzone, and one was drifted to the left, I suspect by a little gust of wind! Also got 2 of the 3 270 shots in the killzone. The other was pushed right, I'm assuming cuz the wind died down a tad. Also, the 2 shots that are pretty much dead center in the square, that was from a previous trip at 800 with the 270. I would have liked to see a little tighter group with the wildcats but oh well. Cant expect much from a factory barreled remington.
zuf1o5.jpg

Maybe you should prop that target up in a different location. You sure must have alot of holes in your tailgate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.