200 matchking backwards?

I've killed train-car loads with my Mini-14. Mostly using 64 gr. Winchester Power Points. Some with 70 gr. Speer semi-spitzers. Several with Rem. 55 gr. soft points. A few with 55 gr. FMJ's, when that is what happened to be in the mag at the time.

I have shot and lost exactly ONE hog that I shot with any of my .223's. I did have one other shot with a .223 run - about 10 yards. All others fell DRT.

The only other hog I ever had that did anything other than quiver was shot with a Marlin bolt action......chambered in .17 HMR.....shooting 17 gr. polymer tipped varmint/squirrel bullet. I forget which brand. Porky jumped, ran about 30 yards and tipped over. Young boar, about 140 lbs. Turns out that the bullet had penetrated the hide, shield and chest. Completely jellied both lungs. Fragments found on the far shoulder.

In my pretty extensive experience, I have not found a properly shot hog any tougher than the average small whitetail. Maybe a bit less so.

While I haven't shot a "train-load" of animals with them, I have shot a fair number of whitetails with a couple of the bullets you mentioned - the Winchester 64-grain Power Point, and the Speer 70-grain semi-spitzer. Both worked extremely well on smallish whitetail does. This was something I tried to reduce meat damage, and I was shooting them out of a 22-250 at around 3300 fps. All shots were rib cage shots, and all bullets exited. Wound channels were not large, but every deer dropped on the spot. I was surprised at how suddenly it put them down.

I have never shot any hogs with these bullets, but it looks like you've had good results. I was reluctant to shoot a deer, even a small one, right in the shoulder bones. From your results on hogs I think that if I had done that, I probably would not have had any problems with penetration. Hogs are built tougher than deer so anything that penetrates well on a hog should do just fine getting through a deer.

I have done the whole loading backwards thing for several years with a .308, but for sub loads. They do seem to hit harder so I'm sure they will supersonic. I also do this with pulled .50 BMG ball projectiles out of my .smaller .510 cal rifle, now that thing really knocks the snot out of things.
I've seen that video and as far as the split necks and pressure signs; he probably had the same charge for both, operator error. Just do load work up like any other bullet and you'll be fine.
As for the SMK, I would do as mentioned by another and just drill the opening for more consistency.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.