20 inch 6.5-284. Anyone have any experience or input?

Calvin45

I'm currently bidding on a take off barrel (because it's not a gun, it's just a barrel, loophole regarding promises I made my wife 😁) in 6.5-284. It's 20 inches only which seems very short for that cartridge. I want it anyway BUT…anyone have any real world experience with this cartridge in a shorty? What should I expect?

Should still be more long range capable than my 10 twist .270 that's currently on the action I'd use, and have more power than a 6.5 creed out of a longer pipe (as well as grant me the retention of my own dignity on this forum 🤣)

..honestly you might as well chamber it in .260 Remington with that short of a tube....you'd be far better off anyway.... real .284 casings are exactly found on many shelfs these days..

..honestly you might as well chamber it in .260 Remington with that short of a tube....you'd be far better off anyway.... real .284 casings are exactly found on many shelfs these days..
Fair enough man and if I was chambering from scratch I would (though prob not a 6.5 of any kind). It's already chambered in 6.5-284, I'm not prepared to spend much on it but if no one else wants it I'll win it on auction for pretty Cheap 😁. Savage 111, I have an action just sitting there waiting for it haha.

I have a 22" at gs right now....I dint see any problems with a 20"
Exs 260 ruger compact shot really well with rl17..and fast....16" barrel....
I say your 20 with more powder could be fun...

I would expect it will shoot just fine. But just slower.
It will still shoot faster than a 20" .260 Rem.
I have a 20" 6.5SS, which are about 75-100fps faster than a 6.5-.284. I get 2916 w. 156, 3010 with a 140 Hyb, and 3075 w. 130 OTM. None of those are max.