1st Post, Question about Elite 4200

Simple Man

Hey guys , awesome board here. New guy with some questions so bear with me please. We have been shooting at longer ranges 350-400yds, I hunt in thickets so that is a longways for me. I did pretty good but was wanting a little more so I took my Savage .243 and swapped over an Elite 4200 4x16x40 with turrets and zeroed the scope. We roughed it in at 50yds .5" low, according to my ballistic calculator that is a 100yd zero, 85gr BTSP@3200fps, we went back to 100yds and here is where we get weird, the group was 1.5" high at 100yds, great group, so I adjusted down 1.5" to should be zero, it moved me 1.5" below zero. Again a great group but 1.5" low, as I adjusted the scope back in to a 100yd zero it ended up at zero at the first setting that hit 1.5" high. I have never really messed with turrets before and I am confused. Anybody have any ideas or thoughts? I really like the idea of adjusting to yardage and being able to turn back to a zero, but after today and $65 of ammo I am thinking I may go with a ballistic plex??

Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.

I tried searching for the thread that would answer your question.

I couldn't find it.

So here goes:

I'm not certain that I under stand clearly what you mean.

I gather that you got the bullet impact to Zero @ 100 but the turret setting ended up being where it previously hit 4.5" high?

I usually don't recommend spending money but in this case spending 39.95 + about 5 bucks shipping would have paid for itself and left at least 20 bucks in your pocket.

The recommendation would be to order Shawn's video and pay particular attention to the 100 yd zero and the box test.

A cheap (my way, until I bought the video) was to mark MOA points on a 100 yd target. Put the gun in a vice, carefully center it then move the turrets 1 MOA at a time in the up direction and see how it worked.

Another way is to get another fella that trusts you not to shoot him and put him at the 100 yd target with a radio, cell phone and a Sharpie. Put the gun in a vice then have the down range fella center the paper then fasten it.

Then while you're looking through the scope, WITH THE BOLT REMOVED, have him mark the cross hair intersection. Then click it up at least 3 MOA and mark the spot. Keep doing that until you run out of paper.

Then return from the top your 3 MOA at a time. You should hit dots all the way down and return to zero both on turrets and paper.

Do the same thing for windage.

Lota work. The video and box test is faster and less expensive and will tell you more. Plus you won't look like an idiot to the bystanders:D:D

I did a pretty crappy job in the attempted explanation, sorry about that. I'll try again.

Gun zeroed .5 low at 50 - no adjustment to scope. Move target to 100yds.

3 shot group at 100yds = 1.5" high

Clicks are marked 1/8" - move turret down 1.5" - should be zero or close.

3 shot group at 100yds = 1.5" below zero - so 3" drop from last scope setting.

Move turrets back .5" - 3 shot group impact moved .5" now 1" low

Move turrets .5" - 3 shot group - .5" low.

Move turrets back .5" - 3 shot group - now dead zero at 100yds.

So the gun was 1.5" high and I adjusted the scope by the marks 1.5" down, which moved the bullet impact 3" down and to get it zero at 100 it wound up being in the original setting that was 1.5" high. It's harder to explain, I guess.

Thanks for the tips , we will try that the next range session and save money! I'll be on the lookout for the video as well.

You are correct about looking like an idiot to the bystanders also, the guy with me had that *** are you doing look on his face. :)

Thanks again!

Hi rii,

I`m new around here to and was wanting to know who Shawn is and where can we get the video?

thanks
ca

Welcome aboard.

I tried searching for the thread that would answer your question.

I couldn't find it.

So here goes:

I'm not certain that I under stand clearly what you mean.

I gather that you got the bullet impact to Zero @ 100 but the turret setting ended up being where it previously hit 4.5" high?

I usually don't recommend spending money but in this case spending 39.95 + about 5 bucks shipping would have paid for itself and left at least 20 bucks in your pocket.

The recommendation would be to order Shawn's video and pay particular attention to the 100 yd zero and the box test.

A cheap (my way, until I bought the video) was to mark MOA points on a 100 yd target. Put the gun in a vice, carefully center it then move the turrets 1 MOA at a time in the up direction and see how it worked.

Another way is to get another fella that trusts you not to shoot him and put him at the 100 yd target with a radio, cell phone and a Sharpie. Put the gun in a vice then have the down range fella center the paper then fasten it.

Then while you're looking through the scope, WITH THE BOLT REMOVED, have him mark the cross hair intersection. Then click it up at least 3 MOA and mark the spot. Keep doing that until you run out of paper.

Then return from the top your 3 MOA at a time. You should hit dots all the way down and return to zero both on turrets and paper.

Do the same thing for windage.

Lota work. The video and box test is faster and less expensive and will tell you more. Plus you won't look like an idiot to the bystanders:D:D

My 4-16 x 40 Elite 4200 has 1/4 MOA adjustments and my guess is that yours has too . Would explain your problem .

I am going to do a box test here soon so that should tell me. I hadn't thought about the scope being mismarked with 1/8" when it actually has 1/4" adjustments.

Thanks guys

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts