About to pull the trigger on a Elite 4200

aitch

I've shopped and read and looked and have to order something to put on my new 6.5x284 rifle.
I've decided on a variable for versatility and for my money, it looks like the Bushnell Elite 4200 8x32.
The Nikon Monarch 6x24x50 is about $100 more, but if there is not a big advantage to the Monarch, I would like the extra power.
I'm new to this particular game and with all the stuff I need to buy to play, I need the best bang as they say for my buck.
I know you veterans must get tired of us newbys asking the same questions but how do these two scopes compair for versatility, clarity at power, tracking and value?

Thanks for your indulgence,

Aitch

Did you pull the trigger? The only downside to that scope for me would be the limited adjustment range of 20".

The Elite 6-24x50 with side focus has 50" which for my purposes is plenty for the 6.5x284, but costs $125 more.

I am currently building another 6.5x284 and plan to put a 6-24x50 Elite on it. My other one has a Leupold LRT 8.5-25 on it, I like it but I feel the Elite is a better economical fit as I usually only shoot out to just past 1K with it. I only need 26" to do that.

Will post results when I get it.

Shummy

My Elite 4200 6-24x50 (30mm tube) should come in this week. I can't wait. I'll be using it on a custom 7wsm. How would you say the glass of the Bushnell compares to the Leupold?

I have only ever owned one Bushnell, a 4200 4-16x50 While I remember it to be bright and clear, I can't comment as to comparison. I didn't care much for the lower power or the squatty turrets on the last one, but If I'm still able to spot my shots at 500, and get repeatable clicks, as I do with the LRT's, I'll be happy.
Checked with my gun stuff guy today, 6-24x50's are backordered. Will let you know when I get one in my hands to compare. I'll put in on the current 6.5x284 and print some box tests too.

Very interested in your observations when yours comes in as well.
Shummy

I'd steer clear of the older AO 4200's because of the limited range of adjustments. The newer SF 4300 models offer twice the adjustments range that the older models had.

I learned the hard way ...just bought a 6-24 AO model and couldn't get it boresighted in elevation because of the limited range. Good thing Bushnell has a 1 year no questions asked replacement warrantee.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.