1st deer in my county popped positive for CWD

JimFromTN

This sucks but I am not giving up deer hunting. They have setup several places where you can bring the deer head in along with about 6 inches of the neck. Basically, cut it off at the bottom of the white spot below their chin and remove the antlers. I butcher all my own deer and if its a buck, I typically make a euro mount out of it even if its small so if its a doe then no big deal but I don't want to give up the head especially if its a nice one. I watched some videos on where the lymph nodes are and seems simple enough. I called TWRA and they would say its not recommended and never gave me any instructions on how and where to submit my own. One of the processors said they would submit the sample for free but wanted $10 if I wanted the head back which isn't a big deal but I would rather just do it myself.

They have no idea if it can be passed to humans but they have proven that it can be passed to monkeys. Basically sounds like mad cow disease if you get it. There was one unintentional study back in 2005 where someone unknowingly fed 250 people in New York meat from a deer with cwd. They monitored they people who were willing to participate for 6 years and no one developed any symptoms. There is no way that others have not eaten infected meat. They just discovered the 1st one in my county because it was in the late stages of the disease and someone called TWRA which tells me its been around awhile undetected and more than likely people, possibly me, have eaten infected deer. I am not saying that I won't be taking precautions from this day forward, I just think there is a chance that I have eaten some already.