Daughters 1st deer rifle questions ?

Lonnie

My 26 y.o. daughter wants to start deer hunting and I want to get her a rifle to begin practicing with. She has shot 22's before. She is 5'6" and 145 pounds, in good shape physically. I handload, so if needed that is not a problem. I also realize that the fit of the gun is very important in regards to felt recoil and ability to shot accurately. In your opinion what would be a good caliber choice? What brand and model would you get your daughter? I have tossed around different ideas from a .243Win.,.270 Win.,7mm-08,to a .308. but would like to hear from others with the experience.

Just my opinion, but as long as you aren't intending this for ranges over 500 yards, the 25-06, 260 and 7-08 are about the perfect balance of power vs recoil.

For a rifle brand,if you are looking for best value and great shooting, it's Savage all the way. If you are looking to modify and customize someday, Remington is the most popular with most gunsmiths. If you are looking for fit and finish, have fun because "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and what strikes my fancy might not impress you.

If its gonna be used for just deer then I would not over look the 243. Easy to shoot and they almost all seem to shoot good. Remington or savage either way I dont think you would be disappointed. If it is going to be used for elk also I would look at the 260 and 7-08.

Lonnie

There are a few Remington 700 Light Varmint Stainless Fluted rifles in 7-08 for sale right now at $599......either one of those or a Remington Model 7 in 7-08 might just be the perfect rifle for your daughter......

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.