Cwd found in Montana, elk herd,

T

Tlr155

CWD found in elk for 1st time in Montana

SUBSCRIBE NOW! $5 FOR 5 MONTHS
5ddc7ef0b89fa.image.jpg

The first case of chronic wasting disease has been detected in a wild Montana elk. The elk was shot on private property northeast of Red Lodge in Carbon County. The county was where the first case of CWD in deer was detected in 2017.

150 elk in the herd this one was shot from, I'm gonna, guess they will end up exterminating the entire herd

I suspect that CWD will eventually spread across the entire deer / elk population in ALL states unless a cure is found (that will eradicate it).

I refrained from hunting on my north central Michigan property this year because of it.

Unlike Blue Tongue (where infected animals die rather quickly and the herd is decimated, CWD rakes longer but the end result is the same.

Bad deal all around.

I suspect that CWD will eventually spread across the entire deer / elk population in ALL states unless a cure is found (that will eradicate it).

I refrained from hunting on my north central Michigan property this year because of it.

Unlike Blue Tongue (where infected animals die rather quickly and the herd is decimated, CWD rakes longer but the end result is the same.

Bad deal all around.
I agree

CWD is over blown by agencies. Killing the herd would be the stupidest thing they could do. NM has had CWD positive units for 20 years and it hasn't negatively impacted herd # at all. There are still occasional positive test but elk herd growing and deer herd holding g steady.

CWD has likely always been around we just use to call it winter kill. Now we have named it. States that have culled there herd for it still didn't get rid of it. Why and how fast it spreads and why it doesn't spread sometimes are completely unknown.

CWD is over blown by agencies. Killing the herd would be the stupidest thing they could do. NM has had CWD positive units for 20 years and it hasn't negatively impacted herd # at all. There are still occasional positive test but elk herd growing and deer herd holding g steady.

CWD has likely always been around we just use to call it winter kill. Now we have named it. States that have culled there herd for it still didn't get rid of it. Why and how fast it spreads and why it doesn't spread sometimes are completely unknown.
I'm interested to see exactly how they deal with this, common. sense seems to elude MFWD

Sport hunting is big business here in Michigan and CWD is already having a huge impact. From what I understand, consuming a CWD infected animal can cause issues to develop in the human that eats the meat.

And of course we have the Bighead Carp issue as well. If the carp get into the Great Lakes, it will decimate the Walleye fishing, another pastime enjoyed by Michiganders. No one wants to eat Bighead Carp.

I'm thankful it's (CWD) not down here yet (Southern Michigan) but, according to the MDNR it's progressing at around 45 miles a year which is the range of a Whitetail.

Sport hunting is big business here in Michigan and CWD is already having a huge impact. From what I understand, consuming a CWD infected animal can cause issues to develop in the human that eats the meat.
Here, out west, CWD has been described as not being transferrable to humans but officials suggest not taking any chances. This means if you harvest an animal which is possibly effected with CWD to have it tested before consumption.

Also, CWD does not decimate a herd. It's not like the plague wiping out a prairie dog colony.

And of course we have the Bighead Carp issue as well. If the carp get into the Great Lakes, it will decimate the Walleye fishing, another pastime enjoyed by Michiganders. No one wants to eat Bighead Carp.

I'm thankful it's (CWD) not down here yet (Southern Michigan) but, according to the MDNR it's progressing at around 45 miles a year which is the range of a Whitetail.
Eventually it will make it to your area if it hasn't already
As far as, consumeing infected deer elk, I'm positive I've consumed deer elk infected with it in the 43 +yrs I've been hunting big game. like the other posters have stated its been here long before it was ever brought to the publics, and sportman/woman's attention
. I have famy in
NY that claim the state seems, to have gotten
A handle on it but no direct Knowledge of that
As I' moved to Montana 32 yrs ago

Also, CWD does not decimate a herd. It's not like the plague wiping out a prairie dog colony.[/QUOTE]
That is something they are not 100% sure of,
Over the long run imo I think it can decimate a, herd

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.