1st ar build

Legend

Looking for opinions here, thinking hard about building my first ar from the groung up instead of buying a complete rifle. my question is about the stripped lower. how much difference is there between a double star lower compared to one of the higher tier manufacters. I'm not looking to build a competition gun or a heavily used on, just want on that is reliable and decently accurate. any suggestions will be welcomed.

Looking for opinions here, thinking hard about building my first ar from the groung up instead of buying a complete rifle. my question is about the stripped lower. how much difference is there between a double star lower compared to one of the higher tier manufacters. I'm not looking to build a competition gun or a heavily used on, just want on that is reliable and decently accurate. any suggestions will be welcomed.

The lower is the least important part as long as its in spec it should be good to go. Fill it with a good lpk, don't skimp and shoot away.

Legend,

Plenty of good lowers out there, and the dirty little secret is that a great many of them come from the same places. As long as the lower is finished off correctly (correctly sized and located holes), any of them can be turned into a decent rifle. Fit it with a good trigger and a high quality barrel, float it with a good solid hand guard like Daniel Defense's and it should be a shooter. If you've never done this before, Glen Zediker has a really good book/shop manual on AR assembly, probably the best one going. Lots of very good, large and clear pictures of every step, with complete explanations of what's important, what to look out for and other tips that will serve you well. Highly recommended.

Has anybody tried the polymer lowers? I like the lower weight but concerned about strengh and fit.

I haven't tried one but have not heard any negative comments of them, I personally don't like polymer in my firearms.

As stated earlier don't skimp on parts kits. I prefer to use mid length gas systems on my builds. They are pretty easy to assemble basically erector sets for grown ups. Get yourself a good book or video and have fun

As far as receivers go I have been using Aero Precision uppers and lowers for all my builds, they are a major manufacture of receivers for quite a few big name companies.

They can be had here for a reasonable price.

Home

Has anybody tried the polymer lowers? I like the lower weight but concerned about strengh and fit.

Stay away there is no benefit to it at all. Have you ever held a stripped lower? Most of the weight in an ar is in the barrel. If you are looking for a light gun get a light weight barrel from Daniel defence of look,for an old colt, or get an sbr.

Legend,

Plenty of good lowers out there, and the dirty little secret is that a great many of them come from the same places. As long as the lower is finished off correctly (correctly sized and located holes), any of them can be turned into a decent rifle. Fit it with a good trigger and a high quality barrel, float it with a good solid hand guard like Daniel Defense's and it should be a shooter. If you've never done this before, Glen Zediker has a really good book/shop manual on AR assembly, probably the best one going. Lots of very good, large and clear pictures of every step, with complete explanations of what's important, what to look out for and other tips that will serve you well. Highly recommended.

+1 on Zediker's book. Clear and concise. Instructions don't get any better. I really like his books and that one really shined IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.