1911 mag sticks

clemens

Quick question. Have rock island 1911, only one mag drops under its own weight unloaded it says colt 45 on bottom of mag. The 10 round mag sticks as well will not drop free under own weight. Bought a Wilson combat mag and it to sticks and drags. Any suggestions as to why, or how to fix issue or possibly which mags to switch too. Gun is clean.

Quick question. Have rock island 1911, only one mag drops under its own weight unloaded it says colt 45 on bottom of mag. The 10 round mag sticks as well will not drop free under own weight. Bought a Wilson combat mag and it to sticks and drags. Any suggestions as to why, or how to fix issue or possibly which mags to switch too. Gun is clean.
Check the mag release catch inside the frame. It may be protruding a hair and hanging the mag up when youpush it to release.

The mag catch might be interfering with the mag if you push the button in too far or if the button is in all the way and it still sticks there might be something protruding from the catch itself.

As a check to see if the problem has something to do with the Mag catch, try removing the mag catch and see if the magazines still stick. If you don't know how to do that, watch a you tube video. Caution : that screw looking thing in the mag catch is not a screw.

I've dropped steel mags before and had to do a little re-alignment on them. They might be bent, a little bit out of "round" so to speak. With the tolerances is doesn't take much. Measure or just gross eye them carefully and maybe see where you need to work them.

Good call Matt, the trigger bow is also a good suspect, pull the trigger out of the gun and see if it has plenty of clearance on the magazines. If it doesn't have clearance it's usually pretty simple to square the bow back up and get the clearance.

The previous replies probably are the answer to the problem but if not I have a different idea. To my knowledge Rock Islands come with MEC-GAR magazines as factory. They produce an 8 round AFC magazine that has the Teflon like coating inside and out which are not only some of the slickest feeding magazines I have ever used but also slide in and out easier. Whether availability is there I don't know as I haven't checked for some time.

Clemens
Didn't hear if you have the issue fixed yet with your 1911.
Jill and I "used to" shoot 1911s almost every weekend with at least 500 rounds each shooting. We have had a few dozen1911s that we bought and modified/built in mostly 45acp and a few 9mm. If you are stil having issues with the mag drop send us a PM and we can then talk and try to work it out.
Thanks
Len & Jill