180gr 300WSM loads? favorites?

I just finished shooting my new 300 WSM custom Benchmark rifle with 185g Berger VLD Hunting with 61, 62, 63 and 65g of H4350 at 2.860 COAL. All of these shot under 1" at 200 yds. Going to try 63g of H4350 at 2.900 COAL wich is .80 off lands with the 185 Berger.

Is there anything to be gained from using magnum of non-magnum primers ( Federal) with these loads in a 300 WSM?

Well I'm diggin up ol' bones, but this thread needed some final load testing info for anyone using the search function.

I first tried RL-17 with 180 Accubonds at .015 off the lands with mixed results, while breaking in my new Hart barrel. All achieved sub MOA, but nothing overly impressive. But holy crap was it Smokin fast!
I was about to throw in the towel, & switch powders, but I just had to give er another go after I did some trigger work. I'm glad I did!
After my trigger work, & some minor tweaking on my new stick, My worst load was 3/4moa at .66 gr RL-17 (Alliant's recomended MAX)
*I guess this is the propper place to put this cautionary note, but I found Alliant's Max load to be quite realistic as Max. I didn't feel comfortable pushing it any further. Slightly stiff bolt, but no other visible signs.... Durring load work up it seemed to be a very flat pressure curve then all of the sudden, "Smack" you knew you were there, & needn't try for more!
-Well, my testing was in direct sunlight @ 95* F. again. I like to do this in Hot weather so there aren't any "Oh $#!+" surprises in extreme heat. I hunt Hells Canyon in August remember.
I worked backward from 66.0 gr of RL-17 in .2 gr increments in groups of 3 with O.A.L. at .010, .015, .018, .020, & .025 for each .2 gr load.
At 100 yds, 65.0 gr RL-17 @ .018 gave me a 3 shot group of .205 center to center!
At 100 yds, 65.0 gr RL-17 @ .020 gave me a 3 shot group of .346 center to center.

Pretty sure I've got my accuracy node about pegged with 180 Accubonds & RL-17. Time to verrify with a chrono, but I'm pretty sure I'm well over 3000 fps, & knockin on the door of 3100 fps, if not a tic more.

Pretty soon I'll be on to testing the 200gr Accubonds with RL-22, & IMR-7828ssc. Will keep you all posted as to the results. However with results like these with the 180's I may just have a big 338 built for anything over 750yds & live with the limited B.C. & range of the 180's. I'd rather have a bigger boomer for 1k anyhow. (looks like another build commin on....:D) but I know more of what to expect this time around.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. It helped a lot in my decision making process for this build.

Those are great results WINMAG. I may have to relook RL17.

Fling me your email in a P.M. & I'll send you pics of that target.
Heck I was so dang excited I quit shootin at that one for fear if screwing up the best target of my life:D
Hahaha. I have it hanging by my loading bench.

I'm too technology retarded to post them on here from my phone.

how long is the barrel? Those are extremely high velocities... best I could get out of the 180 and R17 was about 2880 fps with a 24" barrel. Cool results

Barrel is a 26" Hart 10 twist.
Alliant's #'s are "66gr (max load) equals 3082fps with a 24" pipe".

I'm only at 3800' above sea level, but shootin in 95* temps too with a 2" longer barrel.
I doubt it makes much difference, but at .018 off the lands I'm still well over 3" c.o.a.l. cause I had it throated for 200gr Accubonds. It's built on a long action model 70 Winchester.

For what its worth, 3062-3067 with a 180 was the max I Ever got out of my 24" barreled 300wby with Any powder, which is partly why I'm so excited about these results with my semi custom 300WSM & RL-17.

Last edited:
This was from a 24" Remington 5R at 3075 fps.
group1.jpg

Winmag,

I read the entire thread. You never mentioned the hunt in Aug in Hell's Canyon . It is now Sept so what happened?

Winmag,

I read the entire thread. You never mentioned the hunt in Aug in Hell's Canyon . It is now Sept so what happened?

Unfortunately I missed my Bear hunt for the first time in 11 years.
I don't work on the road anymore, mamma wants me home, so I dont make the $ I used to. So when my cousin got married the weekend before my yearly pilgramage, on the other side of the state, & my daughter was the flower girl I had a very tough choice to make. I couldn't afford both. I wouldn't have been able to use the 300WSM anyway. It arrived so late I didn't have time to do proper load work up, proof my drops. Kinda bummed.
Im a lil bitter, :D but I'll be there next year. Thanks for asking tho.

Last edited:
winmag,
Now that you've had this load/gun combo for a while, have you noticed any temperature sensitivity issues. You hunt across a big temperature spread, so just wondering what some real world experience is.
Thanks, Bill

winmag,
Now that you've had this load/gun combo for a while, have you noticed any temperature sensitivity issues. You hunt across a big temperature spread, so just wondering what some real world experience is.
Thanks, Bill

Wow this is a surprise :D I feel special haha

Well, I thought I did last fall until I figured out I had a cracked screw on my rear Leupold rings/mounts.

Switched out to a Leupold 20MOA rail, & new Leupold PWR (Medium) Rings, & the accuracy came right back.

Shot at 54* f in late spring, & 96* f the other day & it was good.
Deer hunt early last fall was great, but shot was under 300 yds so, not much data there as far as temp sensitivity goes effecting poi or drops. Sorry.
I'm sticking with RL-17, & 180 Accubonds until I can try some 190 ABLR's.

I did get some 277 150 ABLR's that I'm gonna try with RL-22 in my dads 270WSM.

Wow this is a surprise :D I feel special haha

Well, I thought I did last fall until I figured out I had a cracked screw on my rear Leupold rings/mounts.

Switched out to a Leupold 20MOA rail, & new Leupold PWR (Medium) Rings, & the accuracy came right back.

Shot at 54* f in late spring, & 96* f the other day & it was good.
Deer hunt early last fall was great, but shot was under 300 yds so, not much data there as far as temp sensitivity goes effecting poi or drops. Sorry.
I'm sticking with RL-17, & 180 Accubonds until I can try some 190 ABLR's.

I did get some 277 150 ABLR's that I'm gonna try with RL-22 in my dads 270WSM.

Winmag, if you have any RL25, give it a shot with the 150's. I think you'll be impressed. Getting low 3100's with lowish looking pressures and the ability to run into the mid 3100's without issue. Accuracy looks really good too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.