180 gr GMX under Reloader 23. CA Ridgeline .300WM

johan0321

Hey guys new member here and first post on the forums.
I've recently been stationed out at Camp Pendleton, CA. Planning on chasing Muley here, but I've never hunted out west and just learned that California is a no lead state. I picked up the only lead-free .30 cal I could find at sportsman's warehouse, the Hornady GMX in 180 gr. Only powder available at a different location no less, was reloader 23.
I've no experience with monolithic bullets or even loading for this chambering up to this point, as I've shot and loaded for .308 almost exclusively to now. I understand copper bullets require seating a little further off the lands so I'm starting at 50 thou off. Hornady 10th edition lists max load at 75.5 gr of RL 23 @3000 FPS. From what I've read the GMX requires velocities of 2k or better for reliable expansion. I know Hornady is more conservative than most with their data. —Anyone have experience with this powder and pill combo they'd be willing to share, as the information regarding the 180 gr gmx in this chambering, and especially with this powder is almost non existent on the internet or so it seems.

Last edited:
If they shoot like a Barnes mono, I would be starting those GMX's .050" off the rifling.
Mono bullets produce more pressure at lower charges, so stick with the 75.5g max but work up to it from 3g below.
You could drop 5g if that's more comfortable.

Cheers.