Reloader 23?

Calvin45

Hi all, I know reloader 26 gets all the press around here as both it's ability and availability are almost mythological in nature...

I see nobody ever really discussing RL23. Is there a reason for this? Is it underwhelming, poor, or just more available and therefore not interesting? Tell me about your experiences with this powder if you have any, please...I'm considering purchasing some to try, primarily in my rl22 loving .270 Winchester, but any and all feedback regardless of cartridge choice is welcome and wanted. RL22 is a bit too temp sensitive for my taste as I live and shoot and hunt in a place where that really comes to be relevant. I also load for .243 and .300 win mag, a few others but those three are what I do the bulk of my loading and shooting with, .243w, .270win, .300 win mag, and they often like similar powders to each other.

I recently tried some in my 65 284 I've got increase velocities and very accurate I'm very happy with it 2980 fps
05D07AA7-E404-4093-8681-A0F8D56BF3B6.jpeg

Last edited:
I've had the same results with my rifle I tried them both got slightly more velocity from 26 but the accuracy was not there

Thanks for the good feedback all. My 270 in particular just loves Rl22. It's not picky, it hasn't hated anything I've fed it, but Rl22 was as accurate as anything else and a good bit higher mv than anything else so I think I'll go ahead and buy a pound of rl23 to see what she'll do. The temp thing is important to me as that was my only beef with Rl22, when I was newer at reloading I worked up a max load in Saskatchewan November (-20celcius) and in June (+25 celcius) the bolt got more than a little "sticky"

I found that after some rather extensive testing at various temperatures, REL-23 is a very stable powder across a very large temperature range. Its my powder of choice now in my 270 with 150 gr. bullets, 6.5x55 with 140's, and my 24" tubed 300 WEA with 168 gr. Barnes TTSX's. While the burn rate is not identical to REL.-22, it does produce very similiar velocities. I live and hunt in NW Montana, so temperature stability is important to me.

I found that after some rather extensive testing at various temperatures, REL-23 is a very stable powder across a very large temperature range. Its my powder of choice now in my 270 with 150 gr. bullets, 6.5x55 with 140's, and my 24" tubed 300 WEA with 168 gr. Barnes TTSX's. While the burn rate is not identical to REL.-22, it does produce very similiar velocities. I live and hunt in NW Montana, so temperature stability is important to me.

yeah I figured it's not gonna be exactly same burn rate, same as the enduron powders relative to the original ones they approximate - but a safe starting load with one is a safe starting load with the other?

yeah I figured it's not gonna be exactly same burn rate, same as the enduron powders relative to the original ones they approximate - but a safe starting load with one is a safe starting load with the other?
I used REL-22 starting data when developing my loads without any problems. There is good loading data available now from various sources. Alliant Powders has a great site with a lot of data for various cartridges.

I've had great results with R23/150NBT in my last .270 ( 22") and got over 2900fps! This was an older 1980 Remington 700 with a long throat, so was able to seat my bullets out further, gained a little room. Just use at least a 4" drop tube. I don't think you would ever get enough in the 270 case to hurt it! :)

23 will do great in your 243 also. I ran a 6slr with 105 Berger's at 3175fps for 1000 yd comp. That combo got me 2nd place 2 gun overall at my first world open match. 23 is very temp stable and gives really low sd/es. If you like rl22 you will like 23 better. I found rl26 gives more speed but 23 is always more accurate in my experience.
Shep

I've had great results with R23/150NBT in my last .270 ( 22") and got over 2900fps! This was an older 1980 Remington 700 with a long throat, so was able to seat my bullets out further, gained a little room. Just use at least a 4" drop tube. I don't think you would ever get enough in the 270 case to hurt it! :)
I can get 3000fps using REL-23 and a 150 NPT out of my 24" barreled Remington 700, but that is a max load. Accuracy is excellent. This is my go to hunting load for deer sized game, although should the need arise, I know it will work fine on elk too. ( shot 4 elk with REL-22/150 NPT load)