18” barrel for wild boar (hogs) and deer...?

Hi everyone.
Looking at new all round handy rifle.
Either .308 or 6.5 creedmoor. This would be my non handloading rifle.
Range till max 650 yards (600 meter)
European game mainly (deer, boar and maybe red stag). With an 18" barrel. We can start using suppressors in the near future therefore looking at shorter barrels. Mainly shoot mono metals as lead is most likely being banned in europe in a few years from now.

Im concerned with knock down power of the creed as i need the speed for the mono's... would this be better with .308 due to the heavier bullet. Creed 120 gmx / .308 150 LOS or 165 LOS. Any advice welcome as very little experience (myself and most european hunters) with short barrels. Thanks in advanced.
A hunting buddy hunts white tails with a 6.5 creedmore and has regularly been dropping deer in their tracks at 600 to 700 yards. I don't know about the 18" barrel though. I hunt with a Remington Model 7 .243win with an 18" barrel and it does an excellent job on white tails, coyotes, and ground hogs out to 450 yds.

Box ammo 308 hands down. Debate what you want but you will have the most supply and choices and that config has been the most vetted out in that barrel length. Both bolt and gas guns. It has worked well to that max range for a long time on that size game. Many other rounds are sexier and can get better exterior ballistics but there is no doubt the 308 is well proven in that use envelop.

I have been shooting a Rem 700 18" .308 for a few years now with 165gr. Federal premium copper and it has no problem dropping deer and elk **** near in there tracks out to 500. I went with the 18" because i shoot suppressed and wanted it shorter... i can ring steel at a 1000 still also.

I'm just curious. Does it have to be either 6.5 Creedmoor or 308? How about 6.5 PRC? How about 270 Winchester short mag? There are other cartridges that should be considered. Just curious.
Johnny

He may already have an action with standard bolt face was what I figured. Limited varity of factory ammo in his local?

I'm just curious. Does it have to be either 6.5 Creedmoor or 308? How about 6.5 PRC? How about 270 Winchester short mag? There are other cartridges that should be considered. Just curious.
Johnny

both interesting options... however im quite set on the bergara b14 wilderness serie ridge or the new b14 extreme sporter for this purpose... currently leaning towards the 308 as i have the hmr in 6.5 creed... 22 inch barrel do. The 18" will be a dedicated nighthunting rifle with thermal but on the odd ocassion might be used during day trips. Also creedmoor ammo is still difficult to get in europe.

Hi everyone.
Looking at new all round handy rifle.
Either .308 or 6.5 creedmoor. This would be my non handloading rifle.
Range till max 650 yards (600 meter)
European game mainly (deer, boar and maybe red stag). With an 18" barrel. We can start using suppressors in the near future therefore looking at shorter barrels. Mainly shoot mono metals as lead is most likely being banned in europe in a few years from now.

Im concerned with knock down power of the creed as i need the speed for the mono's... would this be better with .308 due to the heavier bullet. Creed 120 gmx / .308 150 LOS or 165 LOS. Any advice welcome as very little experience (myself and most european hunters) with short barrels. Thanks in advanced.

Curious about what the size/weight is of the deer and the wild hogs that you intend to be shooting. I thought that the hogs got quite large in the Netherlands? Also what distance are you intending to shoot the hogs at? If it is going to be at 600 meters, I'm not certain either cartridge would be adequate on the hogs at that distance.

Curious about what the size/weight is of the deer and the wild hogs that you intend to be shooting. I thought that the hogs got quite large in the Netherlands? Also what distance are you intending to shoot the hogs at? If it is going to be at 600 meters, I'm not certain either cartridge would be adequate on the hogs at that distance.

for deer mainly 50 to 250 meters (aprox 275 yard) but the field allowing up to the 600 yards but would be extreme. Deer seize is 26lb to 48lb. For hogs the 300 yards would be the max. Hogs weigh 50lb up to 220 lb but mostly 60 to 110lb on average. But with european hogs there body fat they have as protection is more the problem to get good penetration.

for deer mainly 50 to 250 meters (aprox 275 yard) but the field allowing up to the 600 yards but would be extreme. Deer seize is 26lb to 48lb. For hogs the 300 yards would be the max. Hogs weigh 50lb up to 220 lb but mostly 60 to 110lb on average. But with european hogs there body fat they have as protection is more the problem to get good penetration.

I would go with the 308, eapecially for the hogs with the really tough shoulders plates, heavier and larger bullet will have more punch. Nothing wrong with the 6.5 CM but 308 still has more punch to get through those shoulders. Not to mention that the availability of 308 ammo is provably way larger than the 6.5 CM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.