Boar hunting

grin.gif

Ironworker

We hunt wild pigs here in Texas with just about any centerfire rifle. We've also learned there is not better shot on a wild hog than a head shot right behind or below the ear. They drop in there tracks and there is no loss of meat.

This past fall a buddy killed a 250 lb true russian boar. True russians will have a very thick plate under their skin on there sides to protect them when they are fighting. This boars plate was well over an inch+ thick. After the boar was skinned, we hung the hide on a post and shot it with a .243. Not sure of the bullet used, but the bullet did not make it through the plate and the tip of the bullet was justing sticking out the other side.

That was one tough plate, though the boar dropped in his tracks from the head shot.

Jeff

I've heard a lot about the grissle plate on the big boars, that's why I used a 300gr Swift A-Frame fired from my 454 when I went hoggin'.

The Swift bullet hit a 300+lb boar just behind the shoulder. The bullet blasted through the heavy plate and clean out through the other side. Mr. piggy ran about 35yds and piled up. It looked like a blood bath the whole way.

I can't imagine that any big game cartridge, using a tough bullet, wouldn't be adequate for big russian boars.

If you intend on shooting a boar in the head, many guys claim that a .223 bullet placed between the eye and ear is all that anyone will ever need.

VH

Yep that is a good place to hit boar, head right behind/below the ear, the good thing with pigs is that their heads aint constantly liable to change position like a deer's head does, and it is the only sure way to drop a pig on the spot. Ive shot pigs through the boiler room that have gone some incredible distances. If you are gonna shoot em in the shoulder make sure you use enought gun with a tough enough bullet. Minimum caliber considered suitable for boar (and the legal minimum limit) is 6.5x55. I had good results with a 450 marlin for close in work, i'm just rebarreling a 270 win to 9.3x62 for just for shooting boar with. That should suit em wherever they stand.
Pete

The head shot is an excellent choice for hogs. My dad shoots a 257 WBY mag and uses 115 TSX's. He shot a 225lb boar the other day right on the shoulder at about 125yds. It blew completely through both shoulders and armor plates. I prefer the premium bonded bullets when going after hogs.
Gene Cole III

IW
Your combo will be fine as long as the shot is broadside or frontal. The range will basically be as far as you are confident of placing the shot in a 6" circle over the shoulder /lung / heart area.
Like a lot of 4 legged game,pigs hearts are very low in the chest cavity. Because of this I favour the shoulder shot. Delivered in the right spot it just collapses them!
The perfect placement is on a vertical line with the front leg and a third of body depth at that point down from the back line.
This will destroy both shoulders and spine.
I don't shoot for meat - just pest destruction. I have been shooting them here in Australia for about 40 yrs [average about 150 per year] and my favourite all round caliber is .308W with 150gr. Most of the shooting on pigs here are running so we do not attempt many head shots. APB.

[ 06-18-2004: Message edited by: aussie powder burner ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts