17HMR velocity surprise

338weatherby

I ran about 25 rounds of 17 HMR Hornady 17gr V-max through my Tikka T1 today to try out the new Garmin Xero. Shooting suppressed (TBAC) I was very surprised to see the following. The extreme spread of 100fps isn't surprising but the average sure is. Here are two separate 10 shot strings.

IMG_7337.png
IMG_7336.png

WOW
Rick how old was the ammo you used? Was it all the same lot#?

We have (10) Bricks of 17HMR Hornady 20gr XTP that we stashed away years ago when we had Volquartsen make us a 17 HMR Semi Auto 20" Carbon Fiber and a Thumbhole Compositive Stock. We tested several types of Ammo with the 17gr , 20gr and Rem & Hornady. The 20gr XTP was the most accurate. Never did chronograph it.
Now that Rick put this post up we will check out the 20gr XTP with both our LR and Xero,

WOW
Rick how old was the ammo you used? Was it all the same lot#?

We have (10) Bricks of 17HMR Hornady 20gr XTP that we stashed away years ago when we had Volquartsen make us a 17 HMR Semi Auto 20" Carbon Fiber and a Thumbhole Compositive Stock. We tested several types of Ammo with the 17gr , 20gr and Rem & Hornady. The 20gr XTP was the most accurate. Never did chronograph it.
Now that Rick put this post up we will check out the 20gr XTP with both our LR and Xero,
Same lot. Bought them in January. Glad I picked up 600 rds when I did. These were producing 5 shot .75 - 1" groups at 95 yards as well.

I ran about 25 rounds of 17 HMR Hornady 17gr V-max through my Tikka T1 today to try out the new Garmin Xero. Shooting suppressed (TBAC) I was very surprised to see the following. The extreme spread of 100fps isn't surprising but the average sure is. Here are two separate 10 shot strings.

View attachment 517228View attachment 517229
What your experiencing is the norm when shooting suppressed, the numbers you listed are 100% textbook, no surprise here as I shoot,22,17 hornet,204, and 556 suppressed. Accuracy although minimal also increases. 👍