178 ELD-X projectiles: leads needed!

Thanks for the suggestion! I am trying to avoid attempting to develop a load for yet another bullet, given that all the usual suspects that typically work awesome in 308 have not worked in this barrel.
Your load development with the 178 is NOT a lost cause, and you can always go back to it when you can get more bullets. All we are saying is to have an alternative load while waiting. That's the beauty of reloading; you have options. What you do with options and we have recommended is entirely up to you. We can only advise but the ultimate decision is yours.

I've tried everything from 168, 175, 185, 190, 208. Even the vaunted Berger Juggernaut 185s were inconsistent—would get excited about a 0.3 MOA group, but it would be highly inconsistent.

the 178 ELD-X are consistent in this highly finicky barrel every time.

Being in the predicament that you are in, I would seriously consider giving Hammer bullets a call, tell them your situation about the accuracy of your rifle with only the 178gr ELD-x bullets. I find it extremely difficult to believe that a load, other than the ELD-Xs, cannot be developed that will shoot in your rifle. The folks there are pretty savvy about what works in what gun, they are friendly and may help you out. I personally would be looking for a bullet/load combination alternative, to prevent "exactly" what presently has happened here. I believe that you are fortunate to have found a member here who is generous to share his stock of bullets in these times. Good luck with your hunt.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat, except I built my load on the 178 AMAX. This R700 20" 1/10 shoots them into 1 hole. Everything else is at least 1 MOA or bigger. I thought I tried everything until I bought some pulled 175gr. SMK. Using the same load data as the 178 AMAX this shoots into 1/2" @ 100 yards. Almost as good as the AMAX. My load is 44gr. of Varget seated to magazine length. You may find that elusive 2nd bullet yet.

First thing that I realized during the component craziness is manufacturers of copper bullets are not affected so you can just keep shooting (assuming you have primers, brass & powder!). Hammer bullets just seem to shoot well in about any rifle regardless of round count or finickiness. Lots of threads here on them but you can buy couple different sample packs just to see how they fly. They hit "above their weight" is a common theme so do not overlook the 162AH, 166HH and the new 180HH. BC is not really a big deal until you go "real" long range. I will bet one of these will shoot very well and you will say 178 WHAT?

Edited to add: the 178 AH is also a great 1:10 twist bullet. It will be faster than the 178 ELDX which is trade off for the BC.

Last edited:
First thing that I realized during the component craziness is manufacturers of copper bullets are not affected so you can just keep shooting (assuming you have primers, brass & powder!). Hammer bullets just seem to shoot well in about any rifle regardless of round count or finickiness. Lots of threads here on them but you can buy couple different sample packs just to see how they fly. They hit "above their weight" is a common theme so do not overlook the 162AH, 166HH and the new 180HH. BC is not really a big deal until you go "real" long range. I will bet one of these will shoot very well and you will say 178 WHAT?

Edited to add: the 178 AH is also a great 1:10 twist bullet. It will be faster than the 178 ELDX which is trade off for the BC.
I have heard nothing but great things about the Hammers. Unfortunately >$1/piece puts them out of consideration for my kids. I love them but not that much. Haha.

Folks, I am in need of your help.
I have a Savage .308 that only likes the 178 ELD-X. And I mean only. It shoots those around 1/2 MOA, and everything else 1.5+ MOA.

As my boys are growing out of .223 and able to handle the .308, I'd like to load more of these, but I've run out.

Anybody have a lead on reasonably priced 178 ELD-X boolits?
:D I have a sealed box of 100 .308 178-gr. ELD-X,
plus an opened box of 70. :D

I see they're B/O online at $45/box plus s/h? 5-7 weeks!

So shipped, they're in the ballpark of 60-cents each.

170 x .60 = $102.00

PayPal takes a chunk, so, can you PayPal me $110.00 :D

[email protected]

(307) 851-6011 cell

CHRIS GEGERE
PO BOX 54
HYATTVILLE, WY 82428

Attachments

• 178-gr. ELD-X .308.jpg
    178-gr. ELD-X .308.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 70
:D I have a sealed box of 100 .308 178-gr. ELD-X,
plus an opened box of 70. :D

I see they're B/O online at $45/box plus s/h? 5-7 weeks!

So shipped, they're in the ballpark of 60-cents each.

170 x .60 = $102.00

PayPal takes a chunk, so, can you PayPal me $110.00 :D

[email protected]

(307) 851-6011 cell

CHRIS GEGERE
PO BOX 54
HYATTVILLE, WY 82428

Well there ya go!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.