168 or 180 VLD in sendero 7RM

68 grains of retumbo fed 215m primers nosler brass 180 berger. 1/4 moa in my gun. 2950 fps.
I can verify this combo works good with bullet into lands. I am shooting a custom 7mm shooting .59 moa at 100 yards. At 500 yards the rifle shoots 4" groups all day.

This is a great thread! Especially since I got a new 7RM Sendero and am working up loads. I shoot 1000yd IBS matches with 7mmSTW and 6.5x284's but wanted a "tactical gun", I love the Sendero. I put on a Jewell trigger and a VAIS muzzle brake (it took the sharp kick out and sends the sound toward the target (I had a Browning A-Bolt with BOSS, the BOSS sent the sound sideways and sounded like a fifty)) Both additions highly recommended.

So far, after several rounds of testing, I have found the following...

Today at the range (2/25/09) Incremental Test of 15 rounds 68.0 to 70.8gr H1000, GM210M with JLK 168 .020" into lands = Groupsize = Scattergun

Got most consistent velocities with Sierra MK 168's, AR-25 (67.0gr) GM215M seated .020" off of the lands. (1 MOA)

I noticed that if I moly the inside of the necks with the NECO Case Neck Lubrication setup (BB's in a little jar smothered in moly dust, stick case neck into BB's and a little graphite gets inside the neck)) I get much less velocity spread and better bullet release (.002" neck tension)

I tried 72 gr. Retumbo but velocity was all over the place with 5 different types of primers (GM210M, GM215M, WLRM, CCI, ???).

I'm still sifting thru this thread and have found several good loads to try. According to my Bullet Stability Calc, the Berger 180's are unstable in our 1 in 9.5 twist barrels yet some on this thread are having success with them.?? I have a few Bergers laying around.... I'll try it..

So, so far no loads that are consistent and repeatable. I'm certain I can get under a 1/2" MOA. I'm going to try some Berger 180's, Sierra 1975's, and also try to shoot these VLD bullets off of the lands (which is not what VLD's typically like) It's off to the range....

Try some RL-22 and also try the bullets just touching or .005"-.010" in the lands instead jamming them in so far at .020" Couple ideas to ponder...

My 7mm RM is a rem 700 BDL with the factory twist and it has no trouble stabilizing a 180g VLD at 2825fps at 800 ft ASL. It shoots both 168g-180g VLD 1/2 MOA with RL-22. First powder I tried and never had to search for another. I"m using Win brass and Fed 215 primers, also seating the bullets to just touch the lands.

Good luck!!!

reloader 19 . nosler brass. 168 berger. i ran a ladder in my gun from 59.5 and up first six went into .4 . i was using 9 1/2 m primers at the time becuase i had some. this a a sendero with krieger barrel and vais brake. my 700 adl likes h-4831.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.