168 or 180 VLD in sendero 7RM

Old Coach

I want a load in the Rem. Sendero 7RM that will get me to 1000yds.
I hear that the Berger VLD is a great LR bullet.
What weight is better @ 1000yds.?
Any load data appreciated.

Coach

I want a load in the Rem. Sendero 7RM that will get me to 1000yds.
I hear that the Berger VLD is a great LR bullet.
What weight is better @ 1000yds.?
Any load data appreciated.

Coach
I'm working on the 168 right now. Both bullets are excellent. Just figure out which one shoots best. H1000 looked very promising today at .005 off the lands. I was checking for max load. Started at 67 grains and ended at 72. Mildly flattened primer but no sticky bolt lift and ejection was fine.

Which primer?
215 match

Retumbo, quite frankly, sux in my 7mag with the Bergers, unless I'm at or jammed into lands. For questions related to actions, I spoke with Aaron Davidson today and we got on the topic of Retumbo/Berger combos. He stated to me they are going to go with H1000, that the Retumbo-Federal primer was a picky combination. He stated to try the CCI250 primer with Retumbo. I'm not changing primers as I have about 75,000 Federals and about 10,000 Winchesters.

I have several test loads ready for my 7 using H1000 and 69.5 and 70 grains with a starting point jamming .005 into and ending with .020 clearance. I'm hoping to shoot them tomorrow. If not, it will be Saturday.

Derek I would love to hear back once you test those H1000 loads in the 7mm.

I did a lot of load testing and ended up gettting consistent 1/2 MOA (sometimes better) groups in my modified Sendero 7mm Rem Mag with 72 grains Retumbo, Berger 168 VLD, WW brass, Fed 215 primers, at .015" from the lands (3065 fps). I went all the way up to 73 grains, but didn't get as good accuracy. I didn't like the idea of jamming them in the lands for a hunting rifle, due to the possibility of sticking a bullet in the chamber when removing an unfired round.
Of course, everyone's results may vary with a different rifle.

Derek I would love to hear back once you test those H1000 loads in the 7mm.

I did a lot of load testing and ended up gettting consistent 1/2 MOA (sometimes better) groups in my modified Sendero 7mm Rem Mag with 72 grains Retumbo, Berger 168 VLD, WW brass, Fed 215 primers, at .015" from the lands (3065 fps). I went all the way up to 73 grains, but didn't get as good accuracy. I didn't like the idea of jamming them in the lands for a hunting rifle, due to the possibility of sticking a bullet in the chamber when removing an unfired round.
Of course, everyone's results may vary with a different rifle.
You combo is almost exactly the same as mine. I settled on 72 of Retumbo as well but the primer is a match primer. I am using Nosler brass and had to jam into lands....not really what I want with a hunting rig.

At .015 off, my groups were, at BEST, 2" at 100 yards. I suppose I could try the WLRM primers and give that a shot, or even my regular 215s, but the H1000, even when testing for max load, never grouped greater than 1".

Years ago, Greg Richards, former owner of Broughton bbls stated to me that THE powder for the 7mag is H1000. Of course, I don't think Retumbo was out yet. My other favorite is Reloder 22. I'm still considering testing it as I simply haven't witness major changes with shooting when temps change.

TXSendero,

I did get to shoot today. I loaded 69.5 and 70 grains H1000 with the 168 VLD.

With the 69.5 load, they were seated .005 off the lands. Grouped about 5/8". With the 70 gr charge, I got the best group at .010 off the lands at 5/8". I know the rifle does better as I've reproduced much better groups with 150 btips and IMR4831.

So, I'm going back to the range again with the 70 gr charge, and now 70.5, 71, and 71.5 gr. All seated .010 off the lands. I loaded the same spent cases. Cleaned up the fired necks with 0000 steel wool, sized them, annealed the necks, tumbled, wiped off, and started loading.

I'm also testing the same charges where I did not use the expander during the sizing process, which has about .002 more neck tension. Those Bergers still just seated very smoothly, unlike other brands.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Derek. Any idea about velocity on those loads? Let us all know how the other loads work as well.
Thanks

No info on velocity yet. Plan on taking chrono when I can spend more time at range. Right now, I get about 2 hours at a time and a cease fire is called every 20 minutes. Next time I can go for about 6 hours, I plan on taking chronograph.

I have been a LOOOOOONG time fan of H1000 in the 7mm Rem. But last fall I was tinkering with the JLK 168 and 180's in 3 different 7mm Rems and tried RL 25. WOW.... Shot better groups and picked up a bunch of FPS. Now, I am sure as velocity's went up so did the PSI's. But none of the guns showed any signs of psi untill the velocity reached the INSANE range....well past what I thought the 7mm was capible of. 2 factory bbls (24 and 26 inch) and a Hart 26 inch.

Start low and work up.

Good luck, and have fun!!!:D

I'm a big fan of Re22, and 25. Used a lot of the 25 in my 300 RUM with 200 gr. NAB.

I have plenty on hand but was trying to see how the Extreme powders did first.

Is MRP-2 about like Re25?

My intention was to finish this last bit of testing with the H1000. If I get a better load, great. If not, I may try switching primers and/or go to Re22 and Re25.

Alliant powders have never left me wanting when it comes to accuracy or speed.

In a 7mm WSM, 26", 1:9.5 twist, barrel similar to a Sendero.

Winchester brass with 62.5 gr H4381sc and a Berger 168VLD set .005 off the lands, with Federal F215Match primers gives 3050 fps. Multiple 3 shot groups at 100 yards on a calm day were less than 0.5 MOA.

Using the Sierra Ballistics Program; Infinity, Version 6, this load gives 1683 fps and 1060 ft/lbs at 1000yards. And, 1800 fps minimum velocity for good expansion of the bullet is maintained out to 900 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.