168 Barnes lrx in a 9.5 twist?

My 284 is a 1:9 twist Schneider 28" and did not stabilize the 168 LRX. They tumbled at basically sea level 90 degree weather. So I tried the cutting edge bullet which is also a solid. I used the 160 gr HPBT Max bullet. I have a long Defiance Action so OAL was not an issue with this bullet. Shot extremely accurate with 59 gr of Win780 and WLR primer. Slight pressure but just over 3000 fps. Pressure sign was slightly flat primer but brass ejected fine. Probably should back to 58.5 gr but shooting super. Seated bullets 25 thou off lands. Shoulders backed only one thou. Work up from 57 gr or so if you try the Win 780. I ladder tested 5 powders and it was the best WITH this bullet. I use Lapua brass. If you use Winchester which is also very good brass start lower bc it produces higher pressures than the Lapua does in my experience. Not a bad thing just requires less powder. Just be careful bc there is a difference.

With the Berger 180 VLD in my gun likes 52.5 gr R17 and CCI BR2 primers 35 thou off lands at 2830 fps - very accurate and more so 300 yrs and beyond. At 400 to 700 yard this round hammers in my gun. This too is max so you would need to work up from 50.5 gr or so.

BTW My 284 is a Defiance Long Sheep Action, Schnieder #3 1:9 28" fluted poloygon, Chambered for 284 that must be neck turned, Jewell 2lb trigger, McMillian Ultralight Edge stock ADL (NOT BDL for weight and stock stiffness reasons). I have titanium rings and bases with a Leupold Mark4. I have many other rifles but in reality this is the only one I really need. 284 is a super round.

New here but getting grey hairs over the LRX 168 Barnes in my Rem 700, 280 AI. with a new Shilen, 1 in 9 barrel. although have shot many rounds trying to get it right. It shoots 2 inch groups with 160 Accubonds and the 168 Berger VLD in same point of aim at 200 yds. The LRX has keyholed 3 different sessions on the range with 3 different seating depths. Tried .010, .030 and .050 searching for a place to start tweaking but keyholed each time.
Talked to a Berger Tech and asked me to double check barrel twist. Did that and confirmed 1 in 9 inches. Been reloading since 15 years old and never had a puzzle this hard to figure out. Yes have cleaned and kept copper out so don't start with obvious stuff if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Puzzled Farmer in Pa.

I just had an 8twist Krieger threaded into my TRG's.. chambering is for a Lazzeroni Firebird & I'm shooting 168 LRX's in it. Just finished my load actually, and it shoots unreal in that barrel-- this pic was a group at 200 during development.. measures .679" center to center of the two furthest holes (I shot three separate groups like that once I finally pinned down a seating depth*) image.jpg

I had 3/4"-1" groups at 100 earlier on during development, at 3350, but pressured bad. 3275-ish found another node and got groups just like the pic, but (still) one in three shots gave too-sticky bolt lift* Settled for 3200 and just this-mornin' shot 8 rounds (allowing barrel to cool obviously between every 3) all into roughly 2.5" at 400 while verifying drops* Best consecutive shots of my life!! haha.. I am VERY anxious for season to open up in a couple'a weeks!!!

In my opinion, Barnes did a **** good job on those LRX bullets.. it just takes some patience & effort on a "reloaders-part" to dial them in. And possibly a tad faster twist then what is recommended* I'm just a touch below 2000' here at home, and shoot temps anywhere from 30below (celcius) right up to 80F at times.. hunting season however, when I need that thing to perform BEST, is the reason I went with an 8twist over 9.. and I'm glad I did

Hope this'll help answer some "un-knowns" for ya guys having trouble with the LRX's

AH...back from the range and having a beer!

Yeh I know!!!!!!!....But I think that with the length and design of this bullet (3 bands etc.) combined with seating it out a bit farther produced these velocities. An anomaly??? I can't say for sure. But there were absolutely NO pressure signs that we could see. I will have our very reputable gunsmith give a non-informed visual just to be certain! Ialso could not visibly see any indication of "tumbling" clean holes straight away! I could only test @ 100mtrs. as the 200mtr. was under repair so I'm not sure if the bullet had enough distance vs velocity to truly characterize stabalization.

To verify that the crono was working properly I fired some factory Barnes Vortex 150grn. ammo that came out to be right @ 2800 fps..and is listed to be@3060 also Winchester Supreme 150 grn. btips just above 2900 ..apples to apples.

Bill

Yea, I know!!! Trying out the 140 TSX in 7mm RM with 62.3gr IMR4831, I kind of freaked when I saw the chrono indicating 3250. Adjacent charges varied (average) as expected. Standard Hdy 139 BTSPs were going 3050 at this charge so I thought my chrono was playing tricks on me. But other loads from other guns were about as expected, including factory loads.

No over pressure signs, though somewhat flattened primers. I'm on my 5th reload of these Fed cases and primers are still reasonably secure and no stretch marks near the case head. No stiff bolt. The Barnes produced very tight groups, ranging from .1"x.6" to .6 x .6 on a 80 degree, 5 - 20 mph wind day.

Now that I experienced these shooting so well, I bought some 140 TTSX and 145 LRX to try out next. I'm not sure about going down to 120s because of the increased speed causing excessive barrel wear, and on game too much bloodshot meat (unless I download them, but then I know from general experience with them Barnes are more accurate driven at near max speeds). One reason I like the Barnes to begin with is their knockdown performance and relatively contained meat damage.

Off topic, but anyone out there with any experience with the 120 TTSX out of a 7 RM on deer? Jeesh my 243 with an 85gr TSX @ 3200 will take a deer under 300 yards.

76.5 grains-avg 2992.9 ES 23.5
77.0 grains-avg 2989 ES 14.5
77.5 grains-avg 3021.2 ES 11.4
*** is up with the drop in velocity on the 77grain string? Consistency was okay, these three produced about 1 inch groups at 100yds. 7

I have experienced the same thing with ascending charges...where you hit a plateau or even some dips in a string that are lower than the next lowest charge average. I'm sure I've read about this in other places as well but would like to hear from a reloading authority to know the real scoop behind it. I consider that time to back off because it is not producing stable results. This might not be the solution for your situation.

I'm now starting to develop a load for the 145 LRXs in 7RM. At 3250 they should have plenty of drive to kill an elk out past 300 yards. Heck, I hear guys are shooting them with 7mm-08s at 400fps slower velocities at 200 - 300 yards. On the other hand I hope the 140s and 145s aren't too much for deer hear in Calif. I KNOW these will be the bomb on boar out to 600 yards if I can keep my accuracy up.

I'm not sure about going down to 120s because of the increased speed causing excessive barrel wear, and on game too much bloodshot meat (unless I download them, but then I know from general experience with them Barnes are more accurate driven at near max speeds). One reason I like the Barnes to begin with is their knockdown performance and relatively contained meat damage.

Off topic, but anyone out there with any experience with the 120 TTSX out of a 7 RM on deer? Jeesh my 243 with an 85gr TSX @ 3200 will take a deer under 300 yards.

Increased speed doesn't cause excessive barrel wear, that's a wives tale. Barrel wear comes in the throat area from hot gasses caused by big powder charges, bullet speed has nothing to do with it.

I've shot quite a few deer with the 120TTSX out of a 7mm rem mag, they work great and I wouldn't go heavier for deer. Now I mostly use my 6.5x47L shooting 100 TTSX's for deer, they work great too.

Increased speed doesn't cause excessive barrel wear, that's a wives tale. Barrel wear comes in the throat area from hot gasses caused by big powder charges, bullet speed has nothing to do with it.

I've shot quite a few deer with the 120TTSX out of a 7mm rem mag, they work great and I wouldn't go heavier for deer. Now I mostly use my 6.5x47L shooting 100 TTSX's for deer, they work great too.

Thanks for your input Gc.

Ah, I always thought that the increased temperatures from faster loads contributed to barrel wear.

What about meat damage from the 120 TTSX? Leaving at 3400fps means they may be hit at velocities near that speed. I have never shot a large animal with something going that fast but it seems like there would be more meat loss than with a 140 given the same bullet type.

I expect the 120 TTSX is going to give more meat damage than a heavier TTSX since it's going faster. I haven't shot any other TTSX's than the 120's at deer out of the 7mm RM so I can't really compare. Meat damage isn't excessive with the 120's though. I had been using 140 accubonds in it before switching to the TTSX's and the accubonds definitely did more meat damage than the TTSX.

I do agree with those that say the mono metal bullets are best kept light and driven fast. Even the light TTSX's will give complete penetration from just about any angle on a deer. They're hard to stop.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.