7mm rem mag 168 gr vld w/ 1:9.5" twist??

elkoholic21

I am planning on buying a Savage 111 LRH 7mm rem mag and a vortex viper HS LR scope. It has a 26" 1:9.5" twist barrel. I want to shoot 168 gr berger vld, but they are reccomended for a 1:10" twist.
Just wondering if anybody shoots 168s in a 9.5" twist?
Any oppinions on this set up?

Thanks for the feed back, thats what i thought. For several years I have been planning on building a custom long range hunting rifle for around 800yd on deer and elk, but havent had the $$ due to school. That is why I am interested in the Savage LRH, everything ive read seems pretty positive..... thoughts on this rifle?

You will be fine.

As for the comment too much is never a problem...I KNOW 1 in 7 is too much for 180 VLDs both hunting and target once the throat becomes worn. My friend's 7 STW began "eating" bullets at round count 175 or so. My 7 rem mag at round count 225. Accubonds survived the trip.

With the exception of the scope I shoot what you are going to build.
It shoots the 168g Berger Hunting/VLD extremely well with 63g of Reloader 19. Did not use magnum primers.

WBM, I have the same gun and have not gotten it to shoot the 168 grain bergers very well, How hard was it for you to get a good load worked up for it?

Also after adjusting the trigger I cant seem to get it to shoot anything as good as it was shooting before I took the action out of the stock, any advice? The savage people I have talked to have advice about the accuwedge model but the 111 doesnt have the accuwedge.

What kind of velocity are you getting out of that load?

63.1g Reloader 19 with the 168g SMK. This is Sierra's "accuracy load" from the V Manual. They used a Savage 116 with a 26" Varmint contour barrel. I used Federal 210M primers and they used 215 Magnum primers. Velocity is about 2900fps. I am shooting the 168 Berger Hunting/VLD. OAL=3.435 which is light on the lands in my Savage. 5 shot groups average about .50 MOA.

WBM, I have the same gun and have not gotten it to shoot the 168 grain bergers very well, How hard was it for you to get a good load worked up for it?

Also after adjusting the trigger I cant seem to get it to shoot anything as good as it was shooting before I took the action out of the stock, any advice? The savage people I have talked to have advice about the accuwedge model but the 111 doesnt have the accuwedge.

I shoot the 180g Berger Hunting/VLD more than anything. Try this load. It's a good starting load and the one I stayed with.
58g H4831SC
Winchester or Remington Brass
Federal 210M Primers
180g VLD OAL=3.410" Averages about 2750-2800fps.

For the 168 Berger try this one. A good starting load also.
61.1g Reloader 19
Winchester or Remington Brass
Federal 210M Primers
168 VLD OAL=3.420" Averages 2900-2950fps

Is your stock the factory Savage synthetic? Savage says to tighten the bolts down to 30-35 Inch Pounds with Synthetic or Wood stocks.. Don't have a torque wrench so I use an Allen wrench. I take the Allen and put the short end up and tighten each bolt by hand until I can't get them to tighten any more. Works for me. Don't know how many inch pounds that is.

One more thing. I set my head space off the shoulder and not the belt. That will make a difference in your OAL. So your OAL might be a bit different. Follow Berger's advice and start at the lands. If they shoot good great. If not, back off the lands a bit at a time. Berger has a "how to" on their web site. It can make a real difference in group size!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.