166gr ATIP Performance.

orkan

Two big game animals taken with this bullet so far this year. Happy with what I'm seeing out of this bullet so far. It was very warm when I took my large pronghorn buck... so I didn't have time for messing around with pictures, but it was nice and cold when I shot my big tank muley, so I got some pics of the terminal effects.
Rifle: 7mm PRC Primal 22" 8 twist. Built by - SCR/PrimalRights/PrimalFinish
DXI1v9e.jpg

Got a load dialed in that runs great and went to killing. These ATIP bullets have a great BC and are very consistent in my testing thus far. I've got them shooting in quite a few rifles in several different diameters.

uPNcKuUl.jpg

Pronghorn was shot straight through both front shoulders at 330yds. Clipped the on side shoulder and smashed the off side. Complete pass through.

82" old buck with 7" bases that I've been watching for 3 years.

Fj6VGcZh.jpg

My big muley... very few will get to see. If you haven't seen it already, you probably won't. I don't need my ego stroked, and I'm sick of the social media elements of hunting that diminish everything about the purity of the discipline. My pronghorn was already posted before I got tired of seeing all the little bucks shot this season. Then there's the 9 or so wounded pronghorn and deer I came across this year that someone couldn't get killed. Then there's the countless social media posts where some liar is calling a 2.5-3.5 yr old deer "mature" to make themselves feel better about not being able to keep it in their pants. Then there's the fact that no one can be troubled to get out of their side by side or pickup... ever. I'm just jaded with other hunters all together. So sick of most of them, and I do mean the VAST majority. It's almost as if no one actually wants to hunt anymore, they just want to shoot stuff and take their 2-4 days off from their life that they hate and go play off-road rampage with their vehicle through all of the places they shouldn't drive. Proper management isn't about size as much as it is about age... and wouldn't you know it, size often comes with age. So no one gets to see my trophy. I shot the oldest animal I saw the entire season, and I saw triple digit numbers of bucks. Just a big ol' roman nosed pot belly stud. Such a blessing on both critters this year.

Yet I figured some actual hunters out there might like to hear about the 166 ATIP and how it's doing in the mid-sized 7mm's.

AQdiVall.jpg

EeD63ACm.jpg
qmxQArcm.jpg

Entrance, and exit. Minimal bloodshot. Quartering away, slipped it behind the on side and hammered the off side shoulder... just like I always try to do with big critters.

Killed 4 coyotes during deer season with the 7PRCP as well, at ranges from 60yds to 400-something. Hammers a hole straight through them and they run off on broadside shots, quite predictably. They just don't have the mass to hold a 7mm. If you take them straight on lengthwise, it folds them up hard. lol

VeybOBr.jpg

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the 166 ATIP from hornady. I'm going to keep using it on game without hesitation.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Gday orkan

Nice report 👍& great shooting
You nearly got two in one with that goat & bird 😎

do you know How soft the lead in those ATip compared to the eld

Do you have the impacts of those yotes & pictures of the broadside wounds on them

Good to hear they are easy to load
Cheers

Gday orkan

Nice report 👍& great shooting
You nearly got two in one with that goat & bird 😎

do you know How soft the lead in those ATip compared to the eld

Do you have the impacts of those yotes & pictures of the broadside wounds on them

Good to hear they are easy to load
Cheers

I didn't get the best pics, because frankly I wasn't concerned about how they do on these little critters, but here you go.

The Atips have an aluminum tip... not soft lead. I haven't spent much time on big game with the ELDM or ELDX. The X generally doesn't shoot as tight as I want it to, and the M's have been plagued by lot-to-lot consistency issues which also makes them not shoot as small as I want. So I restrict my use of them to varmints and predators. The ATIPs however have proven to be pretty consistent and shoot small enough for me as well. Great results personally and great reports from folks across the spectrum on 22cal 90's, 6mm 110's, 7mm 166's, and 7mm 190's.

This one got it broadside in the pocket at 400'ish.
2023-11-18 09.34.48.jpg

This mangey mutt got it lengthwise down through the top of the neck out the bottom at 70yds on a sprint. Clipped the back leg off on exit.
2023-11-18 09.35.35.jpg

This one got it in the pocket broadside at 180'ish if memory serves.
vlcsnap-2023-11-29-09h47m39s854.png

This one got it in the face at 205.
2023-11-14 07.58.05.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Two big game animals taken with this bullet so far this year. Happy with what I'm seeing out of this bullet so far. It was very warm when I took my large pronghorn buck... so I didn't have time for messing around with pictures, but it was nice and cold when I shot my big tank muley, so I got some pics of the terminal effects.
View attachment 515359

Got a load dialed in that runs great and went to killing. These ATIP bullets have a great BC and are very consistent in my testing thus far. I've got them shooting in quite a few rifles in several different diameters.

View attachment 515362

Pronghorn was shot straight through both front shoulders at 330yds. Clipped the on side shoulder and smashed the off side. Complete pass through.

View attachment 515382

My big muley... very few will get to see. If you haven't seen it already, you probably won't. I don't need my ego stroked, and I'm sick of the social media elements of hunting that diminish everything about the purity of the discipline. My pronghorn was already posted before I got tired of seeing all the little bucks shot this season. Then there's the 9 or so wounded pronghorn and deer I came across this year that someone couldn't get killed. Then there's the countless social media posts where some liar is calling a 2.5-3.5 yr old deer "mature" to make themselves feel better about not being able to keep it in their pants. Then there's the fact that no one can be troubled to get out of their side by side or pickup... ever. I'm just jaded with other hunters all together. So sick of most of them, and I do mean the VAST majority. It's almost as if no one actually wants to hunt anymore, they just want to shoot stuff and take their 2-4 days off from their life that they hate and go play off-road rampage with their vehicle through all of the places they shouldn't drive. Proper management isn't about size as much as it is about age... and wouldn't you know it, size often comes with age. So no one gets to see my trophy. I shot the oldest animal I saw the entire season, and I saw triple digit numbers of bucks. Just a big ol' roman nosed pot belly stud. Such a blessing on both critters this year.

Yet I figured some actual hunters out there might like to hear about the 166 ATIP and how it's doing in the mid-sized 7mm's.

View attachment 515363
View attachment 515384 View attachment 515385
Entrance, and exit. Minimal bloodshot. Quartering away, slipped it behind the on side and hammered the off side shoulder... just like I always try to do with big critters.

Killed 4 coyotes during deer season with the 7PRCP as well, at ranges from 60yds to 400-something. Hammers a hole straight through them and they run off on broadside shots, quite predictably. They just don't have the mass to hold a 7mm. If you take them straight on lengthwise, it folds them up hard. lol

View attachment 515386

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the 166 ATIP from hornady. I'm going to keep using it on game without hesitation.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Greg
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View attachment 515359

View attachment 515362

View attachment 515382

View attachment 515363

View attachment 515386

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Greg
AWESOME!!!!

I'm watching this with great interest only because I have found ATips to be extremely consistent as well when shooting and easy to tune to boot.

But I've read enough mixed results, especially on medium and large game to cause me to hesitate using them for hunting.

I thought you'd get more velocity from them than that. I've got some on the shelf I wanted to try in a 284 Shehane.

I thought you'd get more velocity from them than that. I've got some on the shelf I wanted to try in a 284 Shehane.
If I wanted to load how most people load... I could easily get another hundred foot per second. I consider this to be just right out of a 22" barrel. I can get 15-20 firings on my brass at this load. Ultra stable, and shots land exactly as I predict.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Last edited:
Gday orkan
Thankyou for the pics & discription
I apologise for my wording on the lead part
My bad as I do understand the tip part just never held one in my hand & im intrigued by them to say the least hence my question on the lead & I refrase my part on the lead in the ATip
Just wondering if you have seen a difference within the lead used in ea pill type

I value your comments on groups etc like the rest & just my curiosity on a pills makeup & how they perform in different critters is one I like to personally do
Nothing else just curious

Cheers

Gday orkan
Thankyou for the pics & discription
I apologise for my wording on the lead part
My bad as I do understand the tip part just never held one in my hand & im intrigued by them to say the least hence my question on the lead & I refrase my part on the lead in the ATip
Just wondering if you have seen a difference within the lead used in ea pill type

I value your comments on groups etc like the rest & just my curiosity on a pills makeup & how they perform in different critters is one I like to personally do
Nothing else just curious

Cheers
The BC on these ATIPs across the caliber spectrum is essentially best in class. That's what made me want to see how they do from an accuracy/precision/terminal standpoint. I shoot thousands of rounds a year (often tens of thousands) on targets, varmints, and predators, so I can attest that they are quite good from an accuracy/precision standpoint. However I only shoot a small handful of big game each year. Probably fewer than 10... so it will take me a long time to have something quantifiable on that.

Accuracy and precision however... they are 100% good to go. I can't say that about all of the ELD-M's and I CERTAINLY can't say that about the ELD-X's. I haven't tested every ATIP yet... just the cals I mentioned above. Since berger sold out to nammo... I'm happy about buying American bullets that shoot small with very high BC (sometimes the highest) that perform well.

I've been playing with the hornady solids too... and unlike my experience with virtually every other boutique solid bullet manufacturer... theirs seem to actually shoot small on a regular basis. Can't say for sure yet though, as I've only run them in one cartridge in one cal. I'm pretty proud of Hornady as of late. I feel like their reloading equipment is some of the worst garbage I've ever used in my life... but their cartridges and bullets are really standing tall lately. It's nice to see.

I'd really like to not have to wash these ATIPs myself though. I am really hating that part of them. When you shoot thousands... wrenching these stupid things out of their crazy packaging and having to wash every box of bullets in their stupid little baggie is really grinding on me. They need to do something about that. I've taken to batch washing them and mixing them all together in a bulk container anyway. When I buy 2k bullets all in the same lot number... I want to open a box of 100 with a razor and dump them in my bowl for loading, like I do with every other bullet. It takes seconds. Yet with these ATIPs it takes several minutes of dealing with stupid cardboard, dumb rubber bands, silly plastic trays, and retarded little fuzzy baggies in order to get them ready for loading. Legitimately is my only complaint so far... and it's a complaint enough that I REFUSE to use them for my main varminting bullets because the thought of loading another thousand and dealing with 10 of these stupid packages gives me PTSD.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Gday orkan

The BC on these ATIPs across the caliber spectrum is essentially best in class. That's what made me want to see how they do from an accuracy/precision/terminal standpoint. I shoot thousands of rounds a year (often tens of thousands) on targets, varmints, and predators, so I can attest that they are quite good from an accuracy/precision standpoint. However I only shoot a small handful of big game each year. Probably fewer than 10... so it will take me a long time to have something quantifiable on that.

Accuracy and precision however... they are 100% good to go. I can't say that about all of the ELD-M's and I CERTAINLY can't say that about the ELD-X's. I haven't tested every ATIP yet... just the cals I mentioned above. Since berger sold out to nammo... I'm happy about buying American bullets that shoot small with very high BC (sometimes the highest) that perform well.

I've been playing with the hornady solids too... and unlike my experience with virtually every other boutique solid bullet manufacturer... theirs seem to actually shoot small on a regular basis. Can't say for sure yet though, as I've only run them in one cartridge in one cal. I'm pretty proud of Hornady as of late. I feel like their reloading equipment is some of the worst garbage I've ever used in my life... but their cartridges and bullets are really standing tall lately. It's nice to see.

I'd really like to not have to wash these ATIPs myself though. I am really hating that part of them. When you shoot thousands... wrenching these stupid things out of their crazy packaging and having to wash every box of bullets in their stupid little baggie is really grinding on me. They need to do something about that. I've taken to batch washing them and mixing them all together in a bulk container anyway. When I buy 2k bullets all in the same lot number... I want to open a box of 100 with a razor and dump them in my bowl for loading, like I do with every other bullet. It takes seconds. Yet with these ATIPs it takes several minutes of dealing with stupid cardboard, dumb rubber bands, silly plastic trays, and retarded little fuzzy baggies in order to get them ready for loading. Legitimately is my only complaint so far... and it's a complaint enough that I REFUSE to use them for my main varminting bullets because the thought of loading another thousand and dealing with 10 of these stupid packages gives me PTSD.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I see what you mean on those stupid packets
That's just plain dumb

I'm not in your field on accuracy & today I'm more than likely @ the other end of that spectrum to yours but overall still happy I can still get trigger time

if you don't mind I'll keep the following to just the accuracy component & leave terminal alone as I'm better off addressing one part @ a time

My questions are

Keeping with the recommendation from a company of a x weight projectile requires x twist rate to give a well stabilised projectile or a extremely accurate projectile ( im trying to leave brand & load development out as I know that is critical to accuracy but I'm not trying to find that out )

So I guess this is the actual question
Have you seen a correspondence of the longer the pill gets you benefit from going a faster twist that Is recommended or is this one that no noticeable difference or a slower twist has been the way to go

& @ what length to calibre ratio if you know has this started to show if it does

I hope I'm clear on what I'm asking if not please show where I'm not clear & I'll try another way

I apologise for my lack of communication skills as I'm clear in my head but can't relay to keyboard well

Cheers

View attachment 515359

View attachment 515362

View attachment 515382

View attachment 515363

View attachment 515386

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Hunting has become a sport and society somewhat is totally against it but on the other hand so many city people are out in the woods now it's crazy. Hunting doesn't mean what it use to and its a game. I hate seeing what it has turned into as a whole. But people all hunt different and I'm not against people killing small bucks bulls ect because it's more about food well that's what it should be about. But I agree that it sucks right now for hunting and shooting sports. I live in Colorado and I'm about to give up on hunting with all the crap. But that is a stud antelope!!! Glad the a-tips work good I was scared to try them.