$1500 what to purchase ?

isu600rr

So I am getting into this long range shooting and i currently have a rem 700, 300rum with the the cheap plastic stock. and a decent ar10 6.5cm so my question is...

I have 1500 to spend on getting into shooting what do i buy first.

1) Manners T5A = 1000
2) Barrel and blue print action 1250
3) vortex Razor HD 1500
4) defiance action

so where do i start ?> what should be my first purchase , i think the action would determine the stock but is it worth the custom action? scope i can put on anything but it would be mounted to a cheep inconsistent stock.
but then i would need to save up for a better barrel etc..

Firwt thing I'd do is find a buyer for the AR10 in 6.5 and put the money together with the $1500.
Manners stocks are beautiful. But I think you can get a McMillan for less money and they're great.
You can buy a used high quality scope and a good quality Remington or Savage action for less money.
I wouldn't recommend making a "first purchase" of any item on your list. Having a funch of parts lying around waiting for other parts so you can assemble a rifle could mean years of waiting.

Fearnowind makes a good point.
I would suggest sell both rifles, add the proceeds to your $1500 and consider buying a Cooper Excalibur rifle in .300. If you watch gunbroker you can get one for $1800-2000. They have a half minute accuracy guarantee, and you should have enough left over for a good scope, even if you have to buy a used one from the classifieds here.
You wouldn't be monkeying around with parts hoping to make a factory rifle shoot, you would have an accurate rig with quality components capable of long range shooting.

Fearnowind, and COBrad have it pretty well laid out.

At the very least there are more factors not provided, that I'd like to know before my 2 cents.

1) How happy are you with the current .300 RUM? Sounds like not very?
2) How are you equipped with some of the other long range equipment-range finder etc?
3) You say you are a shooter, are you a hunter as well?
4) In this game we're always saving or waiting, for something, it can be done piecemeal but having an end picture in mind helps, What's yours?

I bought the stock rem 700 in 300 rum a while back knowing i was going to part it out and as i read more and more i'm tiring to figure out if its worth blue printing or just getting a custom action,

I have a nice 6.5 creed more i built from an 80% w a 26" bull barrel etc.. so i could put the scope on that .

In the long game i would like to have a long range rig that can reach out to 1000- 1200 with a manners t5A stock or something similar. barrel would be a palma style w break.

Sell the .300 RUM, and put the scope on the 6.5. Put the money from the RUM with your $1500, and save until you can get the action and stock you want.

Take the Remington 700 action:
Square action and lap bolt lugs $100
Parallel grind recoil lug and pin to action $75
Purchase new Lilja or Bartlein barrel $375
Have barrel chambered $250
Purchase used Sendero type stock $200
Have stock bedded with Devcon $200
Purchase 5 port Musclebrake $90
Have Musclebrake installed $75
Purchase Jewell trigger $215
The total is $1580. Sell the AR and buy a good used scope and rings and maybe a rail through the classifieds on Long Range Hunting, Accurate Shooter or Snipershide. The rifle should shoot as good as any if you choose a competent gunsmith. The Remington 700's and Winchester model 70's shoot as good as the custom actions. The only other things I might use are a M-16 extractor and an extended magazine box, but they can be added later. Gary

Is a tux doing a group buy this year? I know in years past they've had a deal where you send in your action, they clean it up and attach a barrel of your choice. All you'd need is a good stock after that. I don't know if they're offering that deal this gear though...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.