140 gr 6.5mm Hybrid for hunting?

Sorry Rich, the hide never came off. These were crop damage tagged, so a quick field dress and donation. The shot was hard quartering and I put back far through the rear rib. The internal damage looked good, lungs were pretty torn up. If I get some time to go out soon I'll bring a camera and document performance a little better.

Thanks! Always good to get some forensics:D

I just saw this post even though it is old. I have been shooting animals with the 6.5 mm 140 g Berger Hybrid for 3 seasons now and have never had a bullet not perform.

I have shot a Coues deer in his bed at 340 yards which never stood up, a mature mule deer buck at 525, another at 340, and a third at 300. Lastly a cow elk at 275 yards. None of the animals went over 3 feet from where they were hit. The photo below is from my buddies buck that was shot right at 300 yards and was hit a low with the same 140 g Berger Hybrid. This buck still only went 5 to 10 yards before falling down dead. You can see the entrance and the exit hole in the photo and the internal organs were jello.

If this bullet will open up in a Coues deer and shred the internal organs, it should open up in about anything.

I would also note that the Gunwerks ammo is all loaded with the Hybrids, they swear by them and those boys kill a lot of animals....

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 130
I saw a video on YouTube about annealing the tip of Berger VLD bullets to get better expansion at longer ranges. Has anyone tried that with the 6.5 hybrid? This could be a way to turn that target bullet into a fair hunting bullet. If I can ever find some of the hybrid 6.5's I may give it a go.

I've seen lots of short range kills with the hybrid but I don't know if it would expand well enough to kill at 800 yards. I've seen no stories of kills out that far.

I saw a video on YouTube about annealing the tip of Berger VLD bullets to get better expansion at longer ranges. Has anyone tried that with the 6.5 hybrid? This could be a way to turn that target bullet into a fair hunting bullet. If I can ever find some of the hybrid 6.5's I may give it a go.

I've seen lots of short range kills with the hybrid but I don't know if it would expand well enough to kill at 800 yards. I've seen no stories of kills out that far.

I don't know if they will expand at 800 without annealing or not, but I have no doubt that annealing will help. Also, I don't know what you are shooting them in so impact velocity will vary. I have a ceramic block with holes drilled in it that I put the bullets in so that just the last 1/8" is annealed. You have to be careful not to overheat and bubble the lead out of the tip. Keep the bullet upright until it cools.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.