130 grain 6mm bullets?

6.5x300

I make my own bullets and have found that anything is possible, any weight, any caliber, any profile....anything. I also use a lot of Savage actions and pick up a lot of various used barrels in nearly new condition. Picking up a barrel is a lot cheaper then buying a new gun so quite frequently I will buy a barrel in a caliber I don 't shoot yet just because it is a good deal and knowing I will be shooting it soon as I need to test various bullets in all different calibers.

So this is how this story starts... I picked up a Shilen 26" 8 twist 243AI a couple years back and now I am finally getting around to making some bullets for it. I was playing around in the shop recently and easily came up with a 130 grain VLD 6mm bullet. I was simply testing the jacket I had available to see how heavy of bullet it would make, I can always trim it shorter or make a lighter bullet but this 130 grain bullet got me thinking........

I wish my barrel was 4" longer and possibly a 7-7.5 twist. Working the numbers in quickload it estimates 2950 fps from the 26" tube with a full load of H-1000.

What are your thoughts? Anyone shoot a big 6mm wildcat? I looked up a "24 allen mag" but looks like he hasn't got around to it yet. What do you guys think of the potential of a 130 grain 6mm bullet? I only ask as it is a bullet I can easily make with what I have available, I make many other calibers so I'm not looking for the best long range options, simply looking for conversation on the potential or challenges in such a heavy 6mm bullet.

Here are some pics of my 130 grain next to a Berger 95 grain vld and Berger's 105 grain hybrid. Mine is a 15s ogive with a slight secant, 1.410 in length with a 9 degree boat tail.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 6mm 284 or 6mmai rem would give you a bunch more speed and that bearing surface would make Rl33 work well

I'm interested some 130gr 6mm if you have the stuff to make a bunch. I had a guy making 120gr bullets but he's out of material for them. I have a pretty big 6mm wildcat that's in need of a big bullet...

PM me

Got a chance to go out and shoot these long 130 grain pills today.

26" Shilen 8 twist 243AI Melonite treated

H-1000 powder with starting load of 48 grains worked up to 50.0

RP fire formed brass

CCI BR primer

my 130 grain 6mm VLD bullets (1.40 in length)

2.875" OAL

2500 elv. 50 degrees

I was able to get up to 3090 fps at the top load of 50.0 grains but the 8 twist was not enough to stabilize the bullets as they showed a good amount of yaw in the target at 200 yrds. With the 50 grain load I still had a bit more to go on the pressure but ran out of room in the case with the bullet seated so low as it was fairly compressed load.

The ES and SD numbers where incredibly low with each charge and I was very pleased with the FPS and moderate pressures. The 243AI case was able to push the bullets up to 3100fps, I wonder........ with a 30" tube, a 7 twist and the chamber throated to allow me to seat the bullet out farther would I have a good chance to stabilize this long bullet?

I worked the BC numbers of this bullet and it was pretty impressive, the JBL program spit out numbers in the high .600s to nearly .700 G1 )(realistically probably mid to lower .600s) but still an impressive possibility.

I hear you guys saying "but why? when you have great 105-115 grain 6mm bullets" simple.... because I can. This 130 grain bullet is easy for me to make at the moment. If I can get it too shoot it should have some impressive potential. I just need a new barrel and possibly new chamber choice. You guys have any ideas? or comments? I already have a 338 edge, 300WM, 6.5x55, so it isn't a matter of finding the best long range caliber, simply I have a bullet, now what cartridge and barrel would best fit it?

I think the 243AI has enough room to push this bullet plently fast, especially if I use a 30" tube, throat it long to increase powder capacity a bit and get a 7 twist. Then I can use the brass and dies I already have. Might consider a 6mm-06 or 6mm-06AI? or 6mm-284 but the brass seems to be in short supply compared to my 243AI or a -06 offering.

What do you think?

Brian

p.s. judging by the moderate pressures, even at top load I wondered if RL 22 might have been a good choice too? Might have reached peak pressure before running out of room?

Running the numbers you need at least a 7.5" twist and a straight 7 would be better. Those are good looking bullets. What kind of jackets do you use?

Aaron

I used 6.5mm jackets drawn down to 6mm. The 6.5 jackets where made by RCE llc.

Yep, looks like 7 twist would be best.

Now.... would one recommend a 243AI, 6mmAI, 6-284, 6mm-06 or 6mm-06AI?

BT

130gr 6mm VLD.... Wow! You have caught my attention sir, may have to look into getting a .243AI now as I have a bunch of 243 brass laying around and this would be quite a beast it sounds like. What designs do you have for 7mm, any .277s?

I have similar VLD designs for the 7mm and 277, at the moment those are still in the blue print stages. I have made general 7s ogive bullets in those diameters.

Still testing these 6mm bullets. I got some jackets coming in today that are offered by Sta-moly that are supposed to be as good or better then J4s. I'll be making some 105 grain bullets to see how they shoot for me.

I'll keep everyone posted.

BT

Purchased a new barrel with these 130 grain pills in mind. A 6mm-06AI with a 7 twist. I wanted one at 30" but what was available (and a heck of a good price) was a 27" barrel from X-Caliber that looks pretty darn good and has a 6 groove configuration.

Got it mounted to a simple Savage action and sized down some spare 30-06 brass I had, a simple pass in the 25-06 FL die then a pass in the 243 to give it a snug fit in the chamber for fire forming.

I loaded up my 130 grain bullet with H-1000 at a length of about 3.325 for a .020" jump. My starting load was 55 grains and worked up to 57. Really just breaking in the new barrel as I am now sending it off to be Melonite Black Nitride processed, should help to extend the barrel life a bit and maybe get a few more FPS out if it.

So I am happy to report where the 243AI with the 8 twist was unable to stabilize these bullets, even at a speed approaching 3100FPS, the new 6mm-06AI with the 7 twist allowed all bullets to fly true and hit on target. Quite accurately actually. First three shot group (with cleaning after each shot and a windy day) went 3/4", had I not pulled the second shot the groups size certainly would have been smaller as the other two landed in a nice .250" group. I certainly think the potential for very good accuracy is there.

Like before the ES and SD numbers where very good for all loads shot with these 130 grain bullets and the H-1000. I would have to check actual numbers but as far as FPS goes the 55 load was about 2850, 56 grains went about 2900 and the 57 grain load went 2950 fps.

I entered the bullet data into the quick load program, but as the program doesn't have the 6mm-06AI I used the 243 Catbird (pretty similar) for starting loads and to get an idea of a potential max. I would say it was pretty darn close as the CCI BR primmer was a bit flattened with the 57 grain load, not the load I would use for fire forming, but it will certainly be interesting to see if there is any pressure and fps differences shooting the fire formed case vs. not.

It will be interesting to see if there is any advantage to this 130 grain pill vs. say the 105, 107 or 115 grain offerings already available. I'll play with it a bit more for sure. Entering the bullet profile data for this 130 grain pill gave estimates of BC numbers in the .650 G1 range, it looked like if I tightened the meplat diameter a bit more the BC estimates jumped to almost .700 G1 at a FPS of roughly 2950, I know these are just computer/paper estimates and I really don't care too much so long as accuracy at long range can be obtained. Might even be able to kick up the FPS a little with the fire formed brass and the Nitride treated barrel????? we shall see.

I am thrilled the bullets are performing well in the faster twist barrel. Not sure if I will be able to obtain any better results the if I was to simply shoot the 105 grain Berger or 107 Sierra but I was able to make a 130 grain 6mm pill and wanted to see if I could get it to shoot well, it was a pretty small investment in the new barrel to show myself it was possible and that is always a pretty cool feeling when it all comes together on target.

This is just the beginning with this 130 grain adventure though....

Swage on!

BT

How the hell did I miss this thread in January?

You're making me want a new 6.75 or 7 twist barrel.

Question, when swedging 6.5mm jackets down how much thicker will this make the jacket ???

The reason I'm asking,
I'm thinking this will be a great target bullet however I'm not sure a thick jacket will expand reliably on game.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts