12GA Rounds for Grizz?

Gotta ask, in a general manner what part of Wyo are you rolling to? Are you doing it on your own or guided?

Side note, before I took a pump shotgun for protection I'd shorten the barrel on a 760 in 06 and put a peep site on it. Way better close and personal protection aid than any shotgun. At least in my opinion it is:)
A .35 Whelan would be much better than the.06.

Definitely the Brennecke black magic, I've carried them in Alaska and in the northwest here for Grizz protection, mostly as a camp or hiking gun. My choice in shotguns for Grizz is my Ithica M37 Deerslayer pump slug-gun the slugs are deadly accurate from the M37... forget the buckshot!

1648077768202.png

HPIM3378 - Copy.JPG

I have loaded these slugs for close to 20 years. They are the most accurate full bore slugs I ever shot. They are designed for 1:34Tw and give you honest 2" groups at 100 yds. I load them at 1450fps so they are packing a serious punch. I use a drill press to set COAL and to control wad pressure consistently. They are reasonably priced and best load I found was with Alliant Pro Reach. I have killed a lot of deer with these slugs and have utmost confidence in them. The total weight is 509 grains which means they will leave a mark! The lead is right at 1 oz but they did have a heavier slug available which I prefer at 1 1:4oz. But not sure still avail. Call them, ask to speak to Rich Knoster who is one of the most knowledgeable slug guys on the planet. He designed this slug many years ago.

Last edited:
Still think Benelli M4 is what I would like to have in hand. Faster follow up and better stay on target. Maybe Steve Davis could provide a solid to use in shotgun?
I also have one of the orginal H&K Benelli M3... got to tell you; the Ithica M37 holds its own all the way around the table. The M3 works, not only well in semi-auto and pump mode, and transitions from tactical to sporting very easily, however when it comes to things with big teeth and/or sharp claws I like my M37 much better, and it's way faster than you might think. Don't get me wrong, the M4 is a proven top in fighting guns, but... I don't plan on fighting Grizz just shooting once or twice in the right spot. Just my 0.2 Cheers

HK M3 (2).jpg
Benilli M3 2.jpg

I shot a small buck once that came busting out of the brush, 10 yards+/-, 2¾ 00buck strait to the face, alls it did was knock it out, break an antler and peirce its ear. That's when i stopped hunting big game with my 12ga.

I'm in the 45-70 camp but I'm always in the 45-70 camp and that's not what the o.p. asked, so if I was in your shoes this is what I would do.
Load the shotgun with the as many of the meanest shells you can find, if the meanest shells you can find are for birds get a 45-70.
Same for the pistol carry the biggest one you can shoot/carry comfortably preferably something that starts with a 4 and has a wheel in it. No hollow points, something solid with a flat nose that will penetrate. Practice. A Lot. O and get a 45-70.
Whatever you do enjoy your time there sounds like it will be a lot of fun. O and definitely wear the brown pants.

Hope you never need to test the advice given on this thread. In the rare event you do.... here's what I'd do.
Wouldn't do bird shot, but would do TSS BB from Apex Ammo. I have zero doubt about the bone crushing abilities of tungsten. I've destroyed turkeys at 60+ yards with #9 shot. The stuff will even groove a barrel (because its so hard) if it isn't loaded properly. Admittedly it's expensive....but I'm certain your life is more valuable. Probably load (2) TSS BB followed by some brenneke or lightfield slugs. You may need to give a warning/deterrent shot, otherwise I'd just use 1 buckshot.

Personally, I like your choice of weapon. If you're being charged, the ability to point (not aim) and shoot is crucial. Like any self defense situation, first round hits dictate the outcome.

Last edited:
Never seen Apex TSS buckshot. Only there predator 2/4/BB loads. While tungsten is better than lead in hardness, I have my doubts about it once the pattern starts opening up and losing velocity. Never shot it at heavy skulls or bone to know if it will penetrate to any great extent. I do know turkey bones and Bear bones aren't created equal. I've used there Apex Predator loads for coyotes but in BB. Again never saw any (tungsten super shot) buckshot on there site when I ordered my ammo. Wouldn't mind getting some for home protection tho.

Hope you never need to test the advice given on this thread. In the rare event you do.... here's what I'd do.
Wouldn't do bird shot, but would do TSS buckshot from Apex Ammo. I have zero doubt about the bone crushing abilities of tungsten. I've destroyed turkeys at 60+ yards with #9 shot. The stuff will even groove a barrel (because its so hard) if it isn't loaded properly. Admittedly it's expensive....but I'm certain your life is more valuable. Probably load (2) TSS buckshot followed by some brenneke or lightfield slugs. You may need to give a warning/deterrent shot, otherwise I'd just use 1 buckshot.

Personally, I like your choice of weapon. If you're being charged, the ability to point (not aim) and shoot is crucial. Like any self defense situation, first round hits dictate the outcome.
Good choice, i would do the same. The whole point of a shotgun is for scattershot, why not just use a 45-70 or 375 then? The TSS is awesome stuff, guys down south are getting full penetration on deer and hogs with size T. That slug is only worth something if it makes a solid hit, why not give yourself 10 or 20 chances instead of 1? The slugs would be in the #3 or 4 position in the mag for finishing...