12GA Rounds for Grizz?

I can kill a bear with TSS buckshot at distances such that if I'm off 4-5" dead center, the bear still dies. Doesn't require the precise placement of a single projectile. 30 yds, dead bear with TSS buckshot thru the brain. TSS buckshot pattern at 25-30yds be ~8-10" diameter circle. Provides a little forgiveness in case I'm messing my britches and get a rough trigger pull.

I guess that I equate your bear attacks with those around here. If I shoot a bear @ 30 yards…..I will be spending a lot of money on attorneys and potentially years in court proceeding!

Must be nice for the bears to give you a 30 yard advance notice! 😁memtb

Not true for tungsten buckshot. Forget anything you ever knew about lead buckshot. None of it applies to tungsten buckshot.
Ok, so what is your shot pattern size with say 9.50mm (.37 cal) tungsten buckshot, and how much buckshot would you get into a 3" 12ga shell by volume and weight, also the velocity... being tungsten is heavier than lead buckshot? Personally, If I was using a 12ga I think I'd stay with the Brenneke slug, but that's just me, I have no real experience with tungsten loads other than bird stuff.
Oh, and let's look at the engagement distance of say 10 yards coming dead on.
We can agree that lead buckshot and Foster slug would be a very poor choice for a big Bear in a full charge.

Your input would be much appreciated, Cheers

Ok, so what is your shot pattern size with say 9.50mm (.37 cal) tungsten buckshot, and how much buckshot would you get into a 3" 12ga shell by volume and weight, also the velocity... being tungsten is heavier than lead buckshot? Personally, If I was using a 12ga I think I'd stay with the Brenneke slug, but that's just me, I have no real experience with tungsten loads other than bird stuff.
Oh, and let's look at the engagement distance of say 10 yards coming dead on.
We can agree that lead buckshot and Foster slug would be a very poor choice for a big Bear in a full charge.

Your input would be much appreciated, Cheers
Volume is not a problem. Weight is the restriction with TSS.

At 10yds? All TSS pellets will hit within ~3" diameter. I don't take bear engagements lightly. I take every advantage given. If a bear misbehaves within 25-30yds, I kill while I have every advantage. The ugliest determined bear charges, you'll probably have little prior notice, has been my observation. Some of those, no matter what gun and ammo you choose, the bear could win.

Here's my current TSS bear defense load.
TSS Buckshot Load.png

Last edited:
I guess that I equate your bear attacks with those around here. If I shoot a bear @ 30 yards…..I will be spending a lot of money on attorneys and potentially years in court proceeding!

Must be nice for the bears to give you a 30 yard advance notice! 😁memtb
You live where you live. I can't help you with that.

Where I live, I do things my way.

62% denser, do they keep similar pellet diameter and pellet count? Isn't 00 like 50 ish grains already? That could make a real option

My wife's 4570 was always loaded with 350 grain north fork bullets I think max load for the 1895 was upper 1700s maybe broke intob1800fps. Recoil was fairly stout, mid 20s if memory serves me, it was the stoutest load she tolerated in small volume at the range. So it's a closer gap in the recoil front, that swanky brenneke is 600 grains at 1500 but I'm guessing not 1500 in an 18.5 inch barrel.
I did chronograph that Brenneke Special Forces Maximum Barrier Penetration Magnum slug. I think I fired two shots from my 18.5" barrel over a triplicate chronograph setup. Two Oehlers and one Pact chronograph. All recording slug velocity. I spent some time looking for the data for a bit. Have it on a computer somewhere.

As I recall, the velocity was around 100fps slower than Brenneke listed on their box of shells, from my 18.5" Remington 870.

Last edited:
You live where you live. I can't help you with that.

Where I live, I do things my way.

No problem……you adapt to the situation, as we all should!

You're just very fortunate to have bears that are polite enough announce their intents earlier than ours generally do! 😉 memtb

I did chronograph that Brenneke Special Forces Maximum Barrier Penetration Magnum slug. I think I fired two shots from my 18.5" barrel over a triplicate chronograph setup. Two Oehlers and one Pact chronograph. All recording slug velocity. I spent some time looking for the data for a bit. Have it on a computer somewhere.

As I recall, the velocity was around 100fps slower than Brenneke listed on their box of shells, from my 18.5" Remington 870.
Those slugs were issued to me in Iraq to take out engine blocks. Please don't waste them very hard to get now ! I still have 1 box of 5 left. Only for Bear now no more engine blocks.

I believe their test gun was 20" or 22" barrel

No problem……you adapt to the situation, as we all should!

You're just very fortunate to have bears that are polite enough announce their intents earlier than ours generally do! 😉 memtb
I probably don't wait as long as you to open fire. I take EVERY advantage with misbehaving bears, that engage me within ~30 yds. And a motionless bear is easier to hit than a running bear.

Buckshot with Small 33 cal balls with no mass for penetration is not for heavy game. Deer would be the biggest game I would shoot with buckshot. Heavy big bones and fat need a Breneke Original Slug for moose or bear.

Those slugs were issued to me in Iraq to take out engine blocks. Please don't waste them very hard to get now ! I still have 1 box of 5 left. Only for Bear now no more engine blocks.

They list 733 boxes available

Use this link for 10 retailers who have them in stock

Volume is not a problem. Weight is the restriction with TSS.

At 10yds? All TSS pellets will hit within ~3" diameter. I don't take bear engagements lightly. I take every advantage given. If a bear misbehaves within 25-30yds, I kill while I have every advantage. The ugliest determined bear charges, you'll probably have little prior notice, has been my observation. Some of those, no matter what gun and ammo you choose, the bear could win.

Here's my current TSS bear defense load.
View attachment 410413
Thank you for the information. So how much does one (buck/ball) weigh in grains that you stated? and the diameter of that one buck/ball? "Bear" with me here I'm trying to work out apples to apples, but... using your buckshot and my slug. I know your vel's so just the aforementioned would help.
Cheers

Thank you for the information. So how much does one (buck/ball) weigh in grains that you stated? and the diameter of that one buck/ball? "Bear" with me here I'm trying to work out apples to apples, but... using your buckshot and my slug. I know your vel's so just the aforementioned would help.
Cheers
Refer back to my post #359. Look in the column labeled TSS. Then find rows labeled "#1B" and "0000" in column TSS.

Each pellet of TSS #1B weighs 64.03gr.
Each pellet of TSS 0000 weighs 128.12gr.

Look above at my post #367; my combined load of 12 pellets #1B and one pellet of 0000, is 895 grains. Or 2.05oz.

We did finish one smaller grizzly in willows with this load of TSS buckshot. Bear was sitting up, and hit in brisket. Distance was ~15yds. All 13 pellets exited out the back of the bear.