123 eld-m on deer, anyone use them?

So turning a 6.5x47 into my dedicated deer gun for back home when I visit in SC. I am wanting to run a lighter bullet as this is a 21" barrel for running a can. Was thinking at heaviest 130 Berger hybrids but would like to run the 123 eldm for the speed. Just a guess but 350 yds would be pushing it as it's a pretty thick place where I hunt and most shots are 100 yds and in. Anyone used the 123 eldm on deer? Thanks fellows.

Guy I work with uses the 123 ELD match for a 6-5 Grendel. He's dropped does and hogs on the spot and swears by them

I'm in the same boat man. I just got an AI AT in 308 and recently aquired a TS customs 6.5x47 barrel for it. It's a 23in. I'm trying the 143 ELDX right now but ive also got a 6.5 grendel and I may look at streamlining so I can purchase my 6.5 bullets in bulk. Running the 123 nosler custom comp right now in the grendel but looking at possibly going to the 130 berger for both if I can make it run in both rifles .I'm using cci 41 primers and cfe223 in the grendel, varget in the 47. Looking to change the 47 over to cfe223 possibly if it will run because it meters so well in my Dillon I dont even bother to hand measure my 308, 223, and 6.5grendel. If it'll run in the 6.5x47 it's gonna be awesome. I'll be able to buy powder and bullets in large quantities. Ha ha.

My brother has take quite a few hogs with them and a few large Michigan whitetail.
They will be fine for those little deer.
For those distances you should also take a look at the 99gr hammers. That's what I'll be running in my Grendel this year. I run the 124's in my 6.5 creed and take a few deer, hogs , and an audad with them. They are great.

A bonded bullet would be a better choice over those exploding bullets ...
129 gr. & 142 gr. accubond long range , are the best killing bullets out there.
Hornady inter-bond is a great bullet also But the ABLR's are better thru out a verity of ranges . Close & Long

We've killed several bug mature muley bucks with the 123 Amazing at 2900 mv, all one shot kills.
about where in Utah are you from, if you don't mind me asking? I lived down by Richfield most of my life. Best hunting ECT.

There's a 123 sst and eldm
And a 129 sst and 129 interbond
The sst and eldm have similar bc so not sure what exactly the difference would be
A lot of 6.5 options

SST used to be my go-to bullet. It has a thicker jacket and is more controlled expansion than an ELD-M. Ive found it does not expand as much as Id like at extended ranges, but have never had an animal walk away from one.

The ELD-M really shines at longer distances and/or when velocities are down under about 2500-2600 fps.

FWIW I started top loading a Partition of near equal weight to a couple ELD-M rounds while hunting. I would top load a SST or ELD-X but since they all look nearly identical it could be easy to mix up. Besides the Partition is very hard to beat for close to intermediate range shots.

So turning a 6.5x47 into my dedicated deer gun for back home when I visit in SC. I am wanting to run a lighter bullet as this is a 21" barrel for running a can. Was thinking at heaviest 130 Berger hybrids but would like to run the 123 eldm for the speed. Just a guess but 350 yds would be pushing it as it's a pretty thick place where I hunt and most shots are 100 yds and in. Anyone used the 123 eldm on deer? Thanks fellows.
I have friends that have taken a lot of whitetails in Georgia and North Carolina using 129 SST's with great luck.

I actually spoke to Hornady about this exact topic. The ELDM is the updated version of the AMax. That being said Ive shot numerous deer with them with great results. Deer size game and below and I think you'll be just fine.

Recent Posts