243 90gr Lapua Scenars - anyone use them on game?

Hello again after a long lay off from LRH

Has anyone used these bullets on small to medium deer at normal hunting ranges?

They shoot fantasticaly out of my 26" 9 twist Border cut rifled Sako. With the great BC I would like to use them but not if they pencil through, blow up or deviate considerably in the animal

Hello 1894 - I have not used the Scenars BUT I have had great success with the 135grHPBT Sierra Matchking in .270! I have shot large game at distances of about 200m and all have been 1 shot kills. The most remarkable was a massive Blue Wildebeest(about 550 pounds) shot in the neck - it dropped dead! The neck in these animals is EXTREMELY thick and strong. I also shot a Kudu through the chest breaking a rib on entry and exit and the animal did not move 10 yards from where I shot it. I have loaded my .270 with 55gr of a local propellant S365 (made by Somchem)in PMC brass with CCI BR primers and I have seated the points to touch the lands. It makes the bullet quite long but the results are spectacular. I am shooting 85gr HPBT Gamekings from Sierra in my .243 and getting 12mm groupings at 100m.These bullets were chronied at 3300 fps. I hope this helps. Both of these bullets expand well and are VERY accurate. It is all about shot placement.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts