Lapua Scenar interesting performance on game

willfrye027

I've been using 155gr scenars in my 30-06 this year and finally had a good test for them.

Shot this young whitetail buck on my last day to hunt in Idaho. Shot placement was not good. I thought I was making a follow up shot (turns out first shot was a miss) as he looked back towards me, hard quartering away at an estimated 120 yards. Bullet hit him just in front of his hind quarter and did not exit. More or less, a Texas heart shot. It took me two hours to find the deer with very very little blood to work with, although he only went about 100 total yards from where I hit him. While butchering I found this tiny remnant of the lead core.

Essentially I got bullet fragmentation and devastation in the body cavity. If I used a mono I think it would have exited and gave me a better blood trail...but maybe would not have killed so quickly.

I think in the future I will 1) make a better shot and 2) use monos in the whitetail woods where blood trails may be needed

E1624D43-B627-4484-B52A-6465B79E6C0C.jpeg
C277A707-C684-414C-A182-3B85B98EEB3D.jpeg

Also shot this meat buck in Wyoming back in October with a scenar. 80 yard shot put it in the high neck so as to not waste meat. Blew through the spine with a golf ball sized exit. No drama there.
61F1B48D-0750-447F-920A-901B2C59AE32.jpeg

Target bullets are never intended to make close range hard angle shots that require a lot of penetration, theyll come apart every time. They work better at long range, when you put the bullet in the chest on broadside shots. Glad you filled your tag!
Yeah, I've heard that from a lot of guys..Initially I was hunting across big clear cuts hence the scenars. Then I scored permission to hunt private on the last day and took the meat buck. I've always wondered how the scenars would work on a close range body shot and now I know 👍🏻

I always keep a few partitions on me when I go through the timber or brush where a quick shot thats not ideal could present itself under 200 yards. Other than that, I use ELDMs. 90% of my hunting is done in very open country with shots that start around 300 though. Since no one has yet to make the perfect bullet, that's how I've decided to do things anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.