.243" Winchester/6mm 90gr Lapua Scenar - Optimal grouping velocity with standard 22" barrel

M Rosslee

Hi all

Did some load development this weekend with a standard 22" 1:10" twist .243 Winchester paired with 90gr Lapua Scenars loaded to South African powder specs (our propellants are limited so our choices are narrow).

I was amazed at how the Lapua Scenar on a 56.65mm Effective Cartridge Length (measured with comparator on the ogive) - wielding a 1mm jump - offered acceptable subMOA groups at a few intervals between minimum and maximum...

I had 3/4MOA groups at 2860fps, 2950fps and 3150fps. (Now just to wiggle the length and see where it closes up and opens up).

The test range was 200m.

Has anybody experienced this? Where the rifle just wants to group with a specific bullet and weight and groups at more than a high and low range in respect of velocity?

I'm used to two nodes when conducting a conventional ladder test - being the high and low velocity nodes.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.