12 gauge; 2 3/4 inch

Sully2

Got no idea on shot size for turkeys??4's..?...5's...? even 2's maybe?..No idea

Any of you shotgun turkey hunters give a guy a hunt

My buddies daughter kills turkeys every year with a 20 gauge and #4's out to 30 yards. With that said you really need to pattern the gun you are going to use and see what it likes. Could be any of the above shot sizes. I'd take a dense pattern of 6's over an open pattern of 4's at any range. I personally shoot an SP-10 and Hevi-Shot #5's.

Just my $.02
Chuck

Oh you bet!! Before Hevi-Shot/10 bore I used 3" copper plated 6's. My old Winchester 1200 never let me down with them. Couldn't stand it though. Bigger is better, right??!!

i shoot #6 shot when im not using the magnum blend. I like the hevi-shot magnum blend alot! I can get kills out to 70 yards with that stuff out of a remmy 870 and H.S. Undertaker choke. I want to try some of winchesters longbeard though because that Magnum Blend is VERY expensive

In a 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch shell I like the Winchester extreme with the hevi shot in a size 5 with a full choke. It's good to about 35 yards in my model 12.

Creedmore shooter: I've tried the long beards in 3.5 12 gauge and they're right at the same as any of the hevi shot shells I've shot except maybe the custom ones that you get from Nitro. And they're way cheaper, it's my new shell for the big guns.

Being lucky enough to grow up in the area of Oregon where all of the turkeys were planted I got to hunt them a ton.

I found that a 3 1/2" is just too much for nothing. A 3" mag is fine, but if you're a good shot a 2 3/4" high brass will give you the best distance performance. The bad part is they don't make those anymore in 4/5/6 shot. In a similar brand/load you'll get the same powder charge for all three lengths but as you get longer the shot weight grows and slows down the round making it less lethal at distance.

So, now that all of my old Federal Premium 2 3/4" reserve is gone I've found the Winchester Double-X High Velocity 3" are a great substitute and pattern about the same out to 75 yards.

The biggest thing is find the choke tube your gun likes. There is absolutely no substitute for it. It might be a $20 one or it might be one over $100, but you need to find it. I can't recommend a specific one. My 835 is 19 years old and a Strutt Stopper is the best I've found for it so far. A buddy has a three year old 835 and the stock extra tight from my 19 year old 835 works best for his.

Cant find the shell / load ya like....RELOAD..! I still have my MEC loaders in the basement ready to roll when I need.

How about 20 gauge..3" mag...copper #6's. I told she girl she had them marked wrong at $9.95 and she told me I was crazy ( should have been $14.95)...so I bought all the wife and I could carry out.

I think I finally shot a total of 5 or 6 at ?? ( Had 6 boxes)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.