10year olds first hunt/rifle/ suppressed?

tnolly

Hey, my soon to be 10 year old wants to hunt next fall. I'm going to buy him a rifle and I'm pondering the options. The easy call is a .243 with a youth stock.
I'm thinking about getting something suppressed though. Should I even consider a 300 blackout? I'd like to save his ears as much as possible. Just invest in good electronic ear pro?
I'm thinking it would mostly be for deer and elk.
What have you guys done?

Two of my grandsons each had their first deer down before 8 yo, I think one took his first at 5 or so. They were hunting from a stand, good rest using stand railing, using a .243 Win. There was no brage on the rifles! They both had a fair amount of shooting under their belts…..recoil was a non-issue! memtb

Great shooter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
My oldest killed his first deer this year.
Given the nature of our hunt/trip it wasn't feasible to have my suppressor. He used a 300blk which worked fine. I completely spaced hearing protection in the blind. The first thing he said was wow that was loud.

With a little thought before hand I should have had him using my 6-223AI or 25-223 instead for a little added range.

My little (8 yr) son will shoot the big rifles, even the 7 Allen Mag. Throw a suppressor on a 6.5 PRC, 6.8 Western, or a 7 SAUM and your son will be comfortable and capable for a long time. If it's a decent suppressor, it'll mitigate recoil and for sure the blast. He'll get proficient real quick and not so quickly under-gunned or under-ranged for deer or elk. Take my word for it, he'll soon be giving you a run for it when it comes to long range confidence and ability. 😏🤠

My 10 year old daughter has a savage 6.5cm with the accu-fit stock. With a suppressor she can handle it. Barely. She only weighed about 60 pounds at the time tho!

A .243, especially with a moderate load and traditional cup and core bullet can be handled by most 10 year olds. If hunting from a blind, a heavier rifle would reduce recoil even more. Avoid a muzzle brake and make them wear ear protection every time they shoot- even if suppressed. Recoil and muzzle blast make flinchers and trigger yankers in kids- no matter the age. My kids dry fired on lots of deer, before actually shooting one. I always had them tell me where they would have hit. This trained them for "watch the hit through your scope"- ie a good follow through. Good luck and make it fun!!!!!