10year olds first hunt/rifle/ suppressed?

We have used:
AR in a 6.5 grendel—I now have a 6mm arc I really like
6.5 creedmoor—the most hated round in America is an excellent starting gun..

My son loves the light 338 federal we have suppressed…

I started my kids on a contender 300 blackout years ago—it is great suppressed but really lacks umph past 80-100 yards. I have found a suppressor works wonders—my daughter regularly shoots one of my 338 Norma's with a suppressor with no problems-she will flinch with the suppressor off..take out the bark—the bite doesn't seems so bad…

Last edited:
When my boys were little I built a 6.5 Grendel on a savage, 16" barrel with Harvester suppressor. Put it in an element chassis. Still use it for youth hunters almost 10 yrs later. I tried several 300 blackout options first. In my opinion that cartridge has one purpose. CQB. I have used it in every conceivable firearm (with ammo from 110 Barnes to 220 sub) and in many hunting scenarios and it never failed to disappoint.

Another vote for the 6.5 Grendel here! A suppressed G in an AR platform or adjustable bolt gun is as good as it gets IMO but the 7-08 is a close second.

Regardless of what you chose, invest in quality ear protection from the start. It will only make the process that much more comfortable.

My son killed his first one last year when he was 7 with a heavy suppressed 308 but was using a tripod in a stand. This year I switched him over to a shortened 308 BLR that I used when I was his age. Recoil has not been an issue for him, but he has never shot the lighter recoiling calibers to know a difference.

If it were me, I'd build something like a 6mmCM and add a suppressor, just got one this year and much prefer "suppressed" hunting! I started my three sons with a custom Win 70 in 250-3000 but they would have loved a suppressed rig, we were often fumbling for ear muffs before shots.

I am a firm believer in setting kids up with a fairly heavy (for them) rifle, recoil is far less of a concern than a light rifle of the same chambering. Heavier rifles are more stable, don't move as much if the trigger gets yanked in the moment, etc. All around easier to shoot rifles. Increase the chances of them being successful.

If elk are on the menu I would personally go with a 7-08 or a 308, it is my opinion that 243 and elk is an expert level combination regardless of what bullet is used and I don't expect kids to have that level of marksmanship or understanding at all. Even if one is an expert I don't see why you would pick a 243 for elk unless there was no other choice? Yes I know it's done all the time and no that doesn't change my view one bit. A 6.5 with a good bullet would be better but I would still like to have 7mm or a 30 cal even better if this particular kid can manage it. Again, increase their chance of being successful. I think the 243 is an EXCELLENT cartridge and I bought one for my kids starting out too, but southern whitetail deer were the biggest and toughest animals considered in that decision. I would argue that 243 might be the best choice for southern whitetails even. My son was strong enough and had shot enough that he started out hunting with a heavy 308 and never hunted with the 243 at all, the heavy 308 had much less violent recoil as an added bonus and he not only shot it better he preferred to shoot it. Small light 243's can be sporty recoiling rifles for kids.

If any way possible I would recommend a suppressor. I wouldn't recommend a brake unless you will be able to use double hearing protection for the shot AND the kid has shot that braked rifle enough to be used to the concussion.

I've used a 6X45 and 6.5 Grendel for my kids. The Grendel is an AR pistol, braked, no recoil. But loud as hell. Just got my suppressor, it's now reasonable. The 6x45 is a 22" barrel, it's reasonable. With proper bullets within 150yds both are capable.

My older daughter started out at 10 with a .250AI when she was 10. Crushed deer and javelina. I put a brake on a .270Win for her elk when she was 11.

My younger daughter started out at 10 with a braked 6.5SLR for deer, and a braked .300RUM for elk at 11. She still shoots the 6.5SLR, but it is suppressed now, and she is a surgeon with it.

My son has been shooting with me since he was about 6. Last year was his first year hunting whitetails at age 8. I chose the 350 Legend for him. Obviously not a ballistic giant, but perfect well rounded for short distance. Moderate to low, manageable recoil. Light rifle (chose the Ruger American). To top it off, I have a new wishlist Revolver in the Smith and Wesson Model 350 😎

If reloading is on the table, opens up a lot of options. Downloading a larger caliber has worked well for me starting off several youth hunters. I've got a model 7 308 that's never shot anything but reduced loads. H4895 is a great powder for reduced loads and the 308.

Loaned my blackout to a friend from work for his sons first hunt since he has only two rifles a 300win and on old school A2 Bushmaster. I was impressed by the 125SST performance on the whitetails.
Seriously we all need an excuse to buy a suppressor and clear the spending with the spouse. Kids and saving their hearing is the best one I can think of! Haha. I am working that angle now.