10mm handgun

I carried the 460 while whitetail hunting last year. I was sitting though and was only going to use it for a shorter range shot. I have a Sig red dot on it. I took of thr old Burris 2x7 scope.
Oh , and I guess I'll agree with you 😁
Shorter range? With enough time of putting lead down the range and good quality gun, that is a 300 (it can do even more) yards deer caliber. 44 mag will do great on deer at 200 and even 250 yards , 460 two levels up when compared to 460.

Last edited:
Did you Wyoming guys get hammered by snowstorm yesterday? We got at least 6 inches or more. But what sucked was the wind. Up to 80 mph gusts and blowing snow. Most melted pretty quick later on. A little breezy today. Might snow a little later today for awhile.
That's the weather report from here ! (Late).

For us……we got "hammered"! But, as we generally get nutt'n, getting anything in getting hammered! 😉 We got both rain and snow.

According to our rain gauge…..0.96" total precipitation! Love it! 👏

We got some breezes……but nothing like y'all got! memtb

One more thing! I've done the heavy daypack, handgun, and rifle thing……When I was younger and in pretty darn good shape. A hard day of walking in rough terrain, left you pretty wasted by nightfall.

Cutting weight helped a great deal. As I hunt with my rifle in my hands, and not on my back, as much as I love my handguns…..the logical decision was to dump the handgun.

The only time that my rifle may be on my back would be in open country in which a Prairie Dog would have difficulty hiding or in the very unlikely event that I must use both hands to make a near vertical climb.

So…..in limited visibility, do ya carry the rifle on your back while holding the handgun in your hand? 🤦‍♂️ Or, carry the rifle on your back, with handgun holstered….thinking that you're "Quickdraw McGraw"!🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

As many have said, for pure effectiveness on large dangerous animals …..a rifle will trump a handgun. Well, with the possible exception of the tiny cartridges that many here prefer….vs. a powerful, big bore handgun! 😉 memtb
I first started carrying a handgun in Wyoming when bowhunting elk. I begin with what I had. A Ruger GP100 revolver in .357 mag. Even with 'bear loads', It felt light in griz country. I moved to a Glock 20 with HardCast 200gn Underwood loads in a Kenai chest holster after a lot of research. With the ease and swiftness of bringing that handgun to bear even one handed, I started carrying it when rifle hunting as well. My thought was the speed of an attacking bear (in somewhat close cover), I would never find the charging bear in a scoped rifle in time even it was in my hands.

10mm XDM . Grip safety duct taped down. Before that Glock 20 10mm . I don't like grip. Griz was 24 yds.
I see what you're saying I do like the grip of the XD as I got a couple of them my newest is the Glock G 40 MOS, which is a tank compared to what I carry my every day carry for duty work as a Glock 17, which feels like a baby compared to my G 40

Shorter range? With enough time of putting lead down the range and good quality fun, that is a 300 (it can do even more) yards deer caliber. 44 mag will do great on deer at 200 and even 250 yards , 460 two levels up when compared to 460.
I was sitting in the trees. About 50 yds max shot. Behind me no trees and can shoot about 300 yds.. When I had the scope on it I got great groups with it at 100 yds. I never went hunting with just a pistol before. I'm pretty sure I could hit a deer at 200 yds with just the red dot. Last year was the first time I had actually tried to use it. Many years ago I had my Ruger SR 454 with a 1x4 scope on it. I stalked to about 50 to 60 yards of a muley buck. It was a 4 pt. or better season. It was a 3x3 with no eyegaurds... 🙄 a buddy and I used to practice long shots with iron sighted Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mags. It was a kick.

I was sitting in the trees. About 50 yds max shot. Behind me no trees and can shoot about 300 yds.. When I had the scope on it I got great groups with it at 100 yds. I never went hunting with just a pistol before. I'm pretty sure I could hit a deer at 200 yds with just the red dot. Last year was the first time I had actually tried to use it. Many years ago I had my Ruger SR 454 with a 1x4 scope on it. I stalked to about 50 to 60 yards of a muley buck. It was a 4 pt. or better season. It was a 3x3 with no eyegaurds... 🙄 a buddy and I used to practice long shots with iron sighted Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mags. It was a kick.
You should come to Handgun Hunter's Competition in June, in Newcastle WY

I used Garret ammo until I started casting my own.Learned how to get the right mix and hardness and have shot completely through a huge wild boar from front to rear with one of mine in 10 mm.I still load for 44 mag but I have been face to face with a grizz and want a little more than 6 shots.
Just my opinion and if I die tomorrow I'll die with my own opinions.Hope it don't offend you
Old Rooster,

No, not at all. Folks have to do what is best for them and sharing our opinions is what this is all about. I've been face to face with big bears in Alaska on fly fishing trips and at the time, even the .44 didn't seem big enough. I still sling a 12 bore with Brenneke's in it when in bear country and I have the room. I've known Randy Garret for a lot of years and when I was working up my Cape Buff load for a .458 he was my "go to" guy for guidance. When I was working up my .44 "bear load" I was using LBT 320 grain hardcast as a projectile. At the time I couldn't find load data for that bullet with 2400, which I had a crap load of. I started shooting my starting loads over the chrono inside my hanger which is where my reloading room is. I'd load 5, shoot them and if velocity wasn't where I wanted it and pressure signs were good, I step up the charge and do it again. I have a "hot box" bullet trap in the hanger but those big meplat bullets really tear up the rubber face of it, so I was shooting those loads into an 20" tree round, on end grain, that sat on my workbench. When I hit 990 fps, my buddy stated that the velocity was great but I missed the stump!! The bullet hit a plastic screw storage cabinet sitting on the bench and blew the crap out of it. I knew that I didn't miss the stump and found an exit hole on the other end. I put another chunk of wood behind that one and every round of those 320grainers when completely through that 20" stump @ 990 fps and lodged about 2 inches into the next. Recoil isn't terrible and the load shoots plenty tight.

I think I'm going to have to ignore this thread. I may hurt my pocket otherwise!

View attachment 548522
Well, I wasn't strong enough. Put 140 rounds down it so far. Some Underwood 220 HC, Underwood 135 and 155, & Cheap PPU. After shooting the underwood and brass flying 25', I pick up the spring kit. Haven't shot any Underwood since installing the heaviest spring and longest spacer yet. I did put 50 PPU down it in that configuration. Read lots about mag issues on these. I took all three apart, cleaned and dry lubed them. I loaded all with 15 rounds and left them for 2 weeks. So far so good. Ran it wet with some Gun Butter. Really liking this Holosun SCS as well.

IMG_8064.jpeg

How tight are those 220s fitting in the magazine? I too have read of the possible issues fitting max length 10mm rounds in the Sig magazines which has made me hesitate on getting one.
I didn't have any issues. Getting the 15th round in is tight as is racking with the full mag. I have been using one of those Lula? Loaders and that seems to set the mag better.

You're better than me…..I was setting my limit @ 150. Unless of course I can hunt with my bench…..then I'm "golden" to 160 or so! 🤣 memtb

Kimber Stainless Target (LS) has a 6 inch barrel, 1911 in 10mm for $1,239 but, they can sometimes be found around that $1,000 price. If ya do end up with, the Glock 20 and the grip is too slippery, Hogue has a grip sleeve in FDE, Grey, OD green etc for $14.95, cobblestone rubber slip-on, makes it fill out if got bigger paws.

I carried the 460 while whitetail hunting last year. I was sitting though and was only going to use it for a shorter range shot. I have a Sig red dot on it. I took of thr old Burris 2x7 scope.
Oh , and I guess I'll agree with you 😁
I started out with the Burris cuz I was told it was the best for handgun. Nope. 7rounds from 460 and it was done. Went leupy and didn't look back.