105 Amax in 243 Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Elite Muzzleloader

So I picked up some varget today so I had more powder to try in my 243. I've already got 87 VMAX for my 243 loaded up with 4350 however the powder is almost gone. I wanted something to use that would work for both bullets and guy at the store recommended varget. He gave me a copy out of a book for a place to start however I'd like to hear if anyone else has used varget for both 87 and 105 Amax.

I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint with a 26" barrel and 1-9 1/8" twist fyi.

Not sure it will stabilize the 105 I've read both ways depends on gun.

Thanks for any input.

I tried varget for the heavies but couldn't produce the accuracy and velocity that I got with IMR and H 4350. Varget did work well with 85 gr game kings. I am shooting a 8 twist now but had same results with previous 9.25 twist.

I ran the 105 in a 9 1/4 Savage with good results powder was RL22. I think you will need one of the slower powders with the 105. I think the 105 with RL22 is a popular combo.

Thanks guys, been doing research and read the same thing your saying. I bought varget because they didn't have 4350 I'm trying to haggle my co worker out of his jug of 4350 so we'll see. I'll make a run to a couple other places to find more 4350.

Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.