243 winchester / 105 amax load

CHARLIEDUECE65

I am working on a load for this on a Remington 700 w/26" krieger 8 twist barrel. I started using Hornady 105 Amax's using H4350 w/cci br2 primers but could not get the velocity I wanted. I was up to 40.5 grains of this powder but accuracy was better at 39.5 grains. I later worked with R17 w/wolf primers. I loaded up to 41.5 grains and am currently getting 2967 fps on my CED M2 chronograph. Accuarcy is pretty good with this load. Im not sure how much further I should push this load. I have no pressure signs yet. I measeure the OAL by the Ogive. In the rifle the OAL is 2.389 on the ogive to the lands. I loaded the rounds to 2.301 on the ogive. Should I change this length, Im still new to this reloading and if Im not doing it right, let me know, Thanks. gun)

If you're jumping them .088" then yes i'd run them out further. Try .020" jump or around that. And if you aren't to pressure yet then go on and find where you hit pressure signs. That velocity isn't bad really, Amax's, h4350 and br2's are a good combo tho for sure!

Thanks for the reply, I changed the OAL and started working up the powder some more. I went to 42.o grs up to 42.3 grs. Im getting really good accuracy with no signs of pressure yet. I think I may stay where I'm at. I will chrono the loads tomorrow or in the next couple of days. I betting there over 3000 fps now.

I have had really good luck with the .243's and the .243AI's with Ramshot Magnum and Retumbo. Try 49 Grains of Retumbo and 50 grains of Ramshot Magnum. Both seem to shoot very well and velocities are pretty darn good

You might try VV N560, Accurate MAGPRO, RL22, and IMR7828SSC.

I've had good loads for the 95g NBT using IMR7828SSC.

IMO: 4350 is a little too fast a powder for that bullet weight in a .243 to optimize velocity.

Fitch

You might try VV N560, Accurate MAGPRO, RL22, and IMR7828SSC.

I've had good loads for the 95g NBT using IMR7828SSC.

IMO: 4350 is a little too fast a powder for that bullet weight in a .243 to optimize velocity.

Fitch

CHARLIEDUECE65
I have to agree with Fitch here on powder. The 4350's worked best with my 243's using bullets in the 70- 85 grain range. I had best results in my factory Sako 243 shooting 95 NBT with AA3100 which is in the 4831 range but slower I think.

The 105 A-Max I'm shooting in a 243AI 1-9 twist 27" barrel using Lapua brass, N165 powder w/BR-2 primers, very accurate and fast. The heavier bullet needs a slower powder.

Thanks for the info. Im wondering how much more i could expect from a 243. What kinda speeds are you guys getting with retumbo/ramshot, or the vv powders. This is a straight 243 chambered with a longer throat for the 105 and longer bullets. Im thinking im doing ok at around the 3000 fps area. Im getting no pressure signs at 42.3 grains of reloder 17 and the wolf primers. I have noticed the recoil is getting obviously worse, almost feels like my 308 shooting 175 smks. Will try to chronograph this load tomorrow. This combo will be for hunting and target shooting.

I went out today and chronographed two loads, 5 rounds of each. The first was 42.3 grs of RE17 w/wolf LR primers. The average velocity was 3070. The second load I chronographed was 42.6 grs of RE17 w/wolf primers. The average velocity was 3118. No pressure signs. Both loads had very good accuracy. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.