$100K 1/2 MOA rifle?

Jon B that rifle is 8-12 0z scoped.That is about as light as you can get a 338 NM w/26'', March 3-24x52
Thanks, And you are right, I wouldn't want that rifle to be any lighter than that. Especially since it shoots so good. If weight is that big deal. You'll just have to get in shape. But I would hang onto that rifle:)

I can't consistently shoot 1/2 MOA so I doubt my rifle could figure it out on its own.
Nice to see some honest humility, Leaf!
I get tired of hearing shooters who couldn't shoot 1/2 MOA with any rifle, even someone else's proven rifle, condemn perfectly good rifles, good loads, and even other shooters. Too much "If I can't do it, I know that nobody else can." mentality.

Don't think it much of a stretch to say that a majority of America's hunters cannot shoot 1 MOA. We have great shooters on LRH. But we aren't exactly the norm among American hunters.

I get tired of hearing shooters who couldn't shoot 1/2 MOA with any rifle, even someone else's proven rifle, condemn perfectly good rifles, good loads, and even other shooters. Too much "If I can't do it, I know that nobody else can." mentality.

Don't think it much of a stretch to say that a majority of America's hunters cannot shoot 1 MOA. We have great shooters on LRH. But we aren't exactly the norm among American hunters.
I could lie like (presumably) some people do on shooting forums/groups, but then I'd be at serious risk of believing my own propaganda, which would be the single worst-case scenario. I'll just keep on criticizing myself until every bullet goes through the same hole.

That's not to say I CAN'T shoot a small group from time to time, I just don't do it nearly as consistently as I would like and certainly not enough to bet 100k on it.

I wonder how many people who claim to shoot 1/4 MOA are talking about their "Greatest Hits" rather than the entirety of their catalog.

When you do put them all in one hole, you can expect the usual chorus of naysayers "pure luck", "by accident", "can't do that again"...etc., etc., ad nauseum.
And when you do at distances greater than 100 Yards, you can expect some hate to be flung in your direction.

Kind of like all folks who hate Jesus...because He's good.

In the nineties I bought a factory Savage .223 with 26" heavy barrel. I developed the load and did a 10 shot group at a 100 yards of 7/16" and stretched out and shot a ten shot group at 200 yards. It measured .870".

My hunting rifles are generally 3/4 of an inch and sometimes even 1" for 5 shots. I always test for 5 shots.

By the way the Savage had Tasco 6 to 24 power on it.

In the nineties I bought a factory Savage .223 with 26" heavy barrel. I developed the load and did a 10 shot group at a 100 yards of 7/16" and stretched out and shot a ten shot group at 200 yards. It measured .870".

My hunting rifles are generally 3/4 of an inch and sometimes even 1" for 5 shots. I always test for 5 shots.

By the way the Savage had Tasco 6 to 24 power on it.
I don't doubt you for a moment. The gun can probably do it anytime you can.

Does anyone have a HUNTING rifle that they'd honestly bet $100K that they can lay down, on demand, and shoot a sub 1/2 MOA, 5 shot group with? I was thinking about it, and I really don't think I do. Even with a couple nice rifles that have produced much smaller than 1/2 MOA groups on occasion... I wouldn't bet $100k on the next 5 shotter being under .5".... I'd like a rifle like that at some point though haha.

Let's say:
-12lbs Max weight
-Minimum cartridge of 6.5 PRC
-Think 600 yard+ elk capable rifle.

If you do, I'd love to see it and get the details on the build, load, and some groups that the rifle/rifles puts down!
I'd say a 10 shot .5" group is a true .5MOA rifle. I've got lucky with a couple rifles shooting .5 groups with 5 shots but NEVER got that lucky with 10. With 10 shots, you truly know if the rifle is a .5" MOA rifle or not. I have 5 that are true .5" or under rifles. Full disclosure, one is a .224.

When I qualified at my private club for the 1k line there were a lot of people with really expensive rifles. (No judgement mine wasn't cheap) When club owner was pulling up we were all chatting, lots of smiling faces and confidence.He explained the course of fire and everyone was ready to prove themselves.

The 100 yard grouping was on accuracy and precision basis and I had met that baseline every range trip with the rifle I brought, but I was still nervous. Same with the 600 test, that I had coincidentally done on accident the day before.

I watched 80% of applicants fail, most of them failed at the 100 yarder. Some obviously hadn't zeroed well, but some just couldn't take the stress. It got quiet and serious within the first 2 attempts.

My rifle that shot 1/2 the day before shot a nice horizontally shakey .9 moa group and I was a happy camper full of adrenaline. Hadn't felt that kind of buck fever in years.

I think we get used to the kind of pressure we experience, I remember feeling that for my first big buck but I don't feel it anymore. I don't feel it when I compete either. I felt it when I had something serious to lose that I wasn't used to though. Something about putting a small pasty on a target and saying hit it or fail that feels different. I should do it more I think.

True.
As soon as you add money, competition, qualifying, test, time, etc...is when you see the wheels fall off of the bus.