$1000 or less Hunting scope advice for Rem 700 30.06

The scope requested will be less then ideal. He said mostly for hunting with some 1000 yard target. The reticle of a wide range first focal plane scope will be too fine/small on 3 to 4 power when hunting, scope will be heavy/bulky on a nice 700 in 3006. His 3-9 Conquest is a great, Great, scope for hunting ranges on a 3006.

I recommend a second scope for 1000 yd target, use a quality rail with appropriate rings and switch scopes when hunting or target shooting. 1000 yd target ammo means re-sighting from hunting ammo so a couple minutes to swap scopes will be worth it. A dedicated target scope can be bulky, heavier and higher power—really opens up the choices. With a good mounting system the scopes will be surprisingly close to their prior zero.
This is good advice. I might be comprising too much looking for crossover scope or "do all" scope. I like NightForce, but I am not excited about the weight for hunting applications. They probably make light weight but I can't afford those.

You've had some bad luck! Of all my sporting arms, hardware, and optics, I've only had one warranty return.
That's why I have to be extra careful to do a lot of research before buying anything with my luck.

Forgot to mention I'd recommend avoiding buying anything from Element Optics brand also. I bought their top of the line $2800.00 Theos 6-36x56 scope and their customer service and warranty is severely lacking. The Illumination seems to be not reliable and intermittent and I already replaced the battery several times with the same results.

I had especially bad luck making very bad choices in regards to buying the most expensive (models) from (Japanese) Element Optics, (Japanese) Athlon, and (Chinese) Bushnells regarding their no warranty honoring and their extremely poor customer service after paying such high amounts of money for them.

I recently bought some Chinese mid level $600 Athlons during this past Black Friday sale that were dropped shipped straight from Athlon Optics which had damaged boxes but the outer shipping box was perfectly unscathed so it appears as though Athlon purposely hand picked brand new scopes specifically with damaged boxes to send me. Another major bummer during Black Friday sale is a dealer sent me used returned Athlon scopes and one even had ring marks and we're also $600 scopes that were supposed to be brand new. Same dealer I bought several new Arken EPL4s and EP5s that didn't include any batteries with any of the scopes but one of the used Athlons had a battery included in the box and some of them looked like they weren't factory set and already been played with and one had ring marks.

Another dealer quoted me a certain price and actually solicited me to buy from him so I paid close to $8000.00 for couple of Element Optics scopes out the door including delivery then after the fact he wants more money to add insurance. He even did not honor his original quoted price which he solicited me on.

Vortex all the way !!!

I actually really like the New additions Strike Eagle line a bunch

I am a Fire Arms instructor and have many rifles and while I love the Gen II and III glass there is not 2k in the budget for every rifle
Recently I have put on many of the 3-18 mRad units and they have performed beautifully

In my opinion its the perfect feature set for many duties especially AR platform

But …. If you want to keep weight down and step up a notch I love the LHT 4.5-22
It's a bit over your budget but a fantastic piece of glass and lightest in class.
The recent Vortex I bought was the Strike Eagle 3-18x44 34mm even after knowingly it's made in China. I actually like it a lot better than my Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2s. The FOV and sight picture in this Vortex looks noticeably wider than the Athlons with similar clarity. I think it's the best $500 I ever spent for a 3-18x44 34mm FFP scope IMHO. Buy them only when they go on sale for $499.99. I was thinking of buying the Element Titan 3-18x for around the same sale price but it's super heavy and had reports of turrets getting impossibly stuff to turn after use and of course obviously lack of warranty and customer service.

Wow....several fellas have recommended Arken. Glad to hear so many of you have had a good experience.
The newest Arken EP5 is incredible and rather unbelievable for how cheap they are selling them for even after their recent price hike. I really think I can be content with Arken EP5s 5-25x56s, EPL4s 4-16x44s, Vortex Strike Eagles 3-18x44s 34mm, and Vortex Razor Gen 3s 6-36x56s. Edited forgot to include Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 F1 MIL-XT too.

I used to really like Athlons especially their Midas Tacs and Ares BTR Gen 2s but the eyebox and insanely huge FOV and sight picture in the Arken EP5s I very much prefer and at least it's lighter than the Razor Gen 3s.

Last edited:
I need some advice for a first focal plane hunting/target scope for a new Remington 700 30.06. It will mostly be used for hunting. But I wouldn't mind target shooting out to 1,000 yards. I know there are a lot of new scope makers. I am looking for a scope from a company like Vortex, Luepold, etc. that offers a lifetime warranty. The following are the features I would prefer:
1. less than $1,000.00
2. Godd warranty
3. First focal plane;
4. 3x18?? or 4x20??ish.
5. Decent field of view.
6. medium to lightweight.

I currently hunt with an old model Ziess 3x9 Conquest. The glass is great, but it is less than ideal for targets beyond 600 yds.

Thanks in advance.
I would encourage you to give Arken Scope's a good look.
FFP, accurate tracking, zero stops. Very hard to beat for the money.

I need some advice for a first focal plane hunting/target scope for a new Remington 700 30.06. It will mostly be used for hunting. But I wouldn't mind target shooting out to 1,000 yards. I know there are a lot of new scope makers. I am looking for a scope from a company like Vortex, Luepold, etc. that offers a lifetime warranty. The following are the features I would prefer:
1. less than $1,000.00
2. Godd warranty
3. First focal plane;
4. 3x18?? or 4x20??ish.
5. Decent field of view.
6. medium to lightweight.

I currently hunt with an old model Ziess 3x9 Conquest. The glass is great, but it is less than ideal for targets beyond 600 yds.

Thanks in advance.
I just put a meopta on my mannlicher stocked 30-06 for whitetail hunting. They make a great scope (for the money) and a private dealer told me that they use Zeiss glass and are made in the Czech Republic saving on labor costs.

Try the Burris XTR 5x25x50 scope. You can find it on sale through optics planet and falls way cheaper than your price goal. Awesome clarity and tracks great.
The Optics Planet Burris XTR 5-25x50 image quality looked pretty terrible to me so I immediately returned it for a refund.

The Arken EP5 literally blew it away in every possible way.