100 Yard Zero with 10 MOA Bases???

Ingwe

I think that I am going to order a 10 MOA base for my M70 in 7mm Rem Mag which shoots 168gr ABLR's at 3,128fps. My Ken Farrel rings should put the horizontal cross hair approx 1.9" above the bore.

I just bought a NF ATACR Scope to go on top.

I am not sure about my calculations, so my question is, "Will I still be able to get a 100 yard Zero with my 10 MOA base?"

With all that adjustment available in the ATACR, I THINK that I can still have a 100 yard Zero and enough adjustment to get me out to 1,500 yards or so but I am not sure.

I would like to run this by you guys and see what you think?

I think that I am going to order a 10 MOA base for my M70 in 7mm Rem Mag which shoots 168gr ABLR's at 3,128fps. My Ken Farrel rings should put the horizontal cross hair approx 1.9" above the bore.

I just bought a NF ATACR Scope to go on top.

I am not sure about my calculations, so my question is, "Will I still be able to get a 100 yard Zero with my 10 MOA base?"

With all that adjustment available in the ATACR, I THINK that I can still have a 100 yard Zero and enough adjustment to get me out to 1,500 yards or so but I am not sure.

I would like to run this by you guys and see what you think?
Yes.

If your scope is already zeroed with a 0 MOA rail then just dial up 10 MOA and that should put you very close when you mount it on a 10 MOA rail.

Yes.

If your scope is already zeroed with a 0 MOA rail then just dial up 10 MOA and that should put you very close when you mount it on a 10 MOA rail.

Shouldn't you have to dial down 10 and not up 10 when going from a 0 base to a 10moa base? Since the barrel will be in more of an up angle when putting the 10 moa base on, providing the scope was zeroed with 0moa base and scope settings are not changed.

Shouldn't you have to dial down 10 and not up 10 when going from a 0 base to a 10moa base? Since the barrel will be in more of an up angle when putting the 10 moa base on, providing the scope was zeroed with 0moa base and scope settings are not changed.
You are essentially jacking up the rear of the scope moving your point of aim down 10MOA for the same POI.

Unless my head is on upside down that means you shift Point of aim up 10 MOA for the same POI.

Why are you hung up on a 100 yard zero?

What if you came close to a 100 yard zero for an initial reference then went directly to your longest range, you mentioned 1500 yards and zero'd there.

Then work back a couple of hundreds at a time and take what you get @100 yards.

I'm bet'n you'll be surprised how little shooting it takes to get it done.

Holding off at ranges under 300 yards don't seem unrealistic.

Hey guys. I think you will adjust the scope down 10 moa since the point of impact will move up. jacking the rear of the scope up moves your scopes point of aim down but creates a downward angle of 10 Moa in affect the rifle barrel is pointing up and scope pointing Down (not really but for lack of better words) .we do this when we run out of upward elevation travel so a canted base allows us to move the scope adjustment down so we have more room to come up.

Hello Fellas and thanks for the replies!!

I'm happy that I'll get the 100 yards with the 10 MOA rail.

Roy, good question....I have a crappy reason for the desire to have a 100 yard Zero.
Unfortunately, I live in the Metro New York City area and the closest place for me to shoot a large bore rifle is at a 100 yard indoor range! To add insult to injury, I have to drive 1&1/2 to get there. So unless I am on a hunt somewhere outside of NY, I do all of my shooting at 100 yards! Sucks dosn't it??

Even deer hunting near home, it is almost impossible to get a shot over 200yards away. There are plenty of ranges nearby to shoot handgun and shotgun but no rifle.

It is near impossible for a law abiding citizen to get a full carry permit for a handgun here as well.....I am a retired cop otherwise I would be out of luck with that too.

Any of you fellas want to move here??:)

Hey guys. I think you will adjust the scope down 10 moa since the point of impact will move up. jacking the rear of the scope up moves your scopes point of aim down but creates a downward angle of 10 Moa in affect the rifle barrel is pointing up and scope pointing Down (not really but for lack of better words) .we do this when we run out of upward elevation travel so a canted base allows us to move the scope adjustment down so we have more room to come up.
You are lowering the point of aim by 10 MOA.

You must raise your point of aim therefore in order to have your bullet impact the same point.

My head is upside down.

Modern scopes show your clicks for bullet impact up/down vs poi up/down.

So yes he needs to come down 10 MOA.

Hello Fellas and thanks for the replies!!

I'm happy that I'll get the 100 yards with the 10 MOA rail.

Roy, good question....I have a crappy reason for the desire to have a 100 yard Zero.
Unfortunately, I live in the Metro New York City area and the closest place for me to shoot a large bore rifle is at a 100 yard indoor range! To add insult to injury, I have to drive 1&1/2 to get there. So unless I am on a hunt somewhere outside of NY, I do all of my shooting at 100 yards! Sucks dosn't it??

Even deer hunting near home, it is almost impossible to get a shot over 200yards away. There are plenty of ranges nearby to shoot handgun and shotgun but no rifle.

It is near impossible for a law abiding citizen to get a full carry permit for a handgun here as well.....I am a retired cop otherwise I would be out of luck with that too.

Any of you fellas want to move here??:)
I think I'll try NYC right after LAgun)

Ain't likely.

Any of you fellas want to move here??:)[/QUOTE]

New York is a great state, you just need to get rid of that city.

Hey Ed,

You got that right! Most people don't realize that besides NYC, Utica, Albany, Yonkers, and a few other Cities, New York is rural.

Unfortunately the liberal freaks here are the voting majority.

safe_image.php

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.