100 Gr. Hammer Hunter in 270 WSM

SeboCreek

Finally had morning cool enough to shoot (84). Started with 63 grains of Rel 16 and ended at 67 grains. Waited 4 minutes between shots to let barrel cool. 10 twist barrel in HS Precision rifle. Loads at 66.5 grains shot .45 inches at 150 yards running 3850 FPS on LabRadar. 67 grains ran .44 inches also at 150 yards and 3876 FPS. Will continue working on this, but looks real promising. No pressure signs and figure could get to 4000, but happy here. Shooting at 150 yards because it has ballistic blocks that I am shooting into. 100 yard area where usually shoot just dirt backstop and scared of spark starting a fire. Hot and dry, and have to wait for right time and place.

Finally had morning cool enough to shoot (84). Started with 63 grains of Rel 16 and ended at 67 grains. Waited 4 minutes between shots to let barrel cool. 10 twist barrel in HS Precision rifle. Loads at 66.5 grains shot .45 inches at 150 yards running 3850 FPS on LabRadar. 67 grains ran .44 inches also at 150 yards and 3876 FPS. Will continue working on this, but looks real promising. No pressure signs and figure could get to 4000, but happy here. Shooting at 150 yards because it has ballistic blocks that I am shooting into. 100 yard area where usually shoot just dirt backstop and scared of spark starting a fire. Hot and dry, and have to wait for right time and place.
I'm surprised it was only 84 in Texas......you musta been out there at 1st light!

And if you waited 4 min between shots it woulda been 104 in a few shots and the barrel would actually get hotter while " cooling off"...🙂

I came through Brownwood the other day, and it was 108......

Yes, and you gotta watch that RL-26
and keep it on ice in that weather.
But, it sounds like you are having fun, and .45 inch groups at 150 is good stuff.

Yes, when the rocks are smoldering already, you have to watch sparks bullets might make and start a wild fire.....

It was about 830 with cloud cover. Probably will be awhile before get back at it. Details below:
22 inch HS Precision barrel 10 twist
270 WSM
REL 16
Primer-WLRM
100 gr HH
New Nosler brass prepped and annealed by Unknown Munitions
AOL- 2.778
LTO-2.278
first shots at 63 gr-3679 FPS
last at 67.0 gr-3881 FPS

If anyone living in a cooler climate has any further information would appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:
Any chance you have an indoor rifle range nearby where you can keep your RE16 loaded cartridges at 70-85F? I know that there are a couple in the North Austin area but not sure where you're at in the HC.

I'm in the Dallas area and that is one of the features of the place I shoot at here - the targets are outside so the AC'd building interior is usually mid-80's on the back bench where i'll keep my ammo (and a good bit warmer near the window I'm shooting out of).

Think best thing is inside a cooler at the bench. I am between Boerne and Bandera. 71797993-4AA6-4E1B-98C5-24D5CDC1066C.jpeg
Backstop using normally when shoot at 500 yards, but as I said above using now for load development at short range because of fire risk.
Thanks for suggestion.

I would like to here the results on a deer/pig. I have a 270 WSM in a Tikka T3 that I will be bring down to the Junction area in November. Been thinking about the Hammer bullets, and I have plenty of RL15.. Friend has a deer camp there, but lives in Boerne. Should be a little bit cooler then.

I would like to here the results on a deer/pig. I have a 270 WSM in a Tikka T3 that I will be bring down to the Junction area in November. Been thinking about the Hammer bullets, and I have plenty of RL15.. Friend has a deer camp there, but lives in Boerne. Should be a little bit cooler then.
85 to 100 gr pills at good velocity are devastating to deer. Don't have pigs here.

You happy with the RL 16 , think so but love to know more, if you run it at 4000 you may need a astronaut license . I've been shooting Hornady 143 ELD match and the ELD-X, both are outstanding groups at 100 .20 and under, one was .17 2 in same hole, and only shot three round groups, now have to reload the empty's, wish I had or could find a Lab Radar,👍

Last edited: