1/2 MOA scopes for long range ?

Aviator

Considering one of the Vortex Viper scopes 1/2 moa for hunting what are your opinions on these ?

Considering one of the Vortex Viper scopes 1/2 moa for hunting what are your opinions on these ?

This question really is dependant on the distance it will be used. I have used the .5 moa IOR scopes with great results, but limit the use to 700 yards or so on game. At 700 yards each click will be roughly 3 1/2" so you can see this may not be desirable for longer shots where precise shot placement of game is the requirement. But for targets I have used them to 1200 and they did fine.

Some of the advantages are;

Less cliick to get dialed in.

Typically , more moa per revelution of turret.

I like them for limited distances just fine.

Jeff

Yeah I plan on using the scope out to 1000 yards. and you can be off 5 inches I really dont know which direction to go here..

i went with the regular version, the .25 adjustments, has caps for both turrets. i don't like hunting with a scope without turret caps. plus it will be used for groundhogs and the .25 just seems like a better way to go. a little less adjustment but it still has plenty. got the scope a couple days ago and i'm impressed with the glass, turrets and parallax adjustments. all in all seems to be a good value for the money. might just shoot it tomorrow to see how it tracks/repeats.

like others have said

for me 1/2 moa is to much travel for a long range hunting rifle. the 1/4moa version is better suited for this purpose

I have used a scope with 1 MOA adjustments out to 1000 for several years. But only because it's issued. I'm not saying you can't be effective, but it takes a little more situational awareness (paying attenion/ whatever you want to call it) to what you are doing. If used for dialing you will still more then likely have to use some type of hold off (then probably just guessing at that). The further out the target the more profound.
Ex's, shooting my M24;
1000 yards:Turn the BDC to 9+2 and hold 1/2 MOA @6 o'clock or 9+3 and 1/2 MOA @ 12 o'clock. It happens to fall about half way in between. At other distances I use the high or low hold depending on which is closer.

A stationary iron maiden on our UKD range @ 734:
7-1 (BDC), hold crown (top) of head for center mass head shot.

We also have the added disadvantage of having BDC's that don't match our actual ammo and being for meters and most our ranges are in yards. We just look at the BDC as numbers for reference.

Thank you all for the replies ! I think I will go with the 1/4 minute model...I am still a little reluctant to go with the Viper I have always been a leupold fan ! and the Viper is 6 ounces heavier than the leupold 4.5X14X40..But the Viper seems like a real bargin considering the features it has ..and then there is the Zeiss ...Gota make up my mind !

I have used a scope with 1 MOA adjustments out to 1000 for several years. But only because it's issued. I'm not saying you can't be effective, but it takes a little more situational awareness (paying attenion/ whatever you want to call it) to what you are doing. If used for dialing you will still more then likely have to use some type of hold off (then probably just guessing at that). The further out the target the more profound.
Ex's, shooting my M24;
1000 yards:Turn the BDC to 9+2 and hold 1/2 MOA @6 o'clock or 9+3 and 1/2 MOA @ 12 o'clock. It happens to fall about half way in between. At other distances I use the high or low hold depending on which is closer.

A stationary iron maiden on our UKD range @ 734:
7-1 (BDC), hold crown (top) of head for center mass head shot.

We also have the added disadvantage of having BDC's that don't match our actual ammo and being for meters and most our ranges are in yards. We just look at the BDC as numbers for reference.

Yeah, what he said! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.