ÇFE 223 temperature sensitive?

tribb

What's everyone's take on ÇFE 223 and temperature sensitivity ? A lot ?a little? none? Thanks for your help folks. Tribb

Chart says 1.72 feet per degree, way to high for my area.
Varget is a little bit faster burning but only 0.19 feet per degree

Chart says 1.72 feet per degree, way to high for my area.
Varget is a little bit faster burning but only 0.19 feet per degree
Thanks and I was looking to change to varget if necessary.! Could you tell me how to find this " chart". That's good information! Thank you Tribb

What's everyone's take on ÇFE 223 and temperature sensitivity ? A lot ?a little? none? Thanks for your help folks. Tribb
Yep it's sensitive. Not something I'd ever use to chase absolute max possible fps living where I do.

Seems to work just fine for moderate loads meant for casual plinking purposes which is exactly what I use it for in my 8x57.

I've often wondered about people who worry about temp sensitivity. :( Who cares! Common sense tells you to not leave your bullets sitting out in the sun. If I did all my testing and chrono /accuracy work up in the spring at 70 degrees when I take my bullets to the range on a hot summer day I take them in a cooler and placed in the shade. When I'm out humping the mountains in the snow I keep them in an inner warm coat pocket and only pull one out when it;s time to shoot. (my best rifles are long throated which turns them into single shots because the rounds no longer fit in the magazines.)

Your reloading tables are only a basic guide to get you in the ball park. Way to many variables. Like primer type, distant to the lands, and your acceptable pressure level and case life.

So I buy the best modern performing powders. High on my list is clean burning like CFE. it's also a great performer in velocity. So velocity at lower pressures is a good thing. In my lifetime of testing the most accurate loads are not speed demon bragging rights primer pocket loosening loads. Like on my 223, I don't load my match 62 grain HPBT to over 3200 fps I've found that backing them down to a few grains is where you get the dime sized 200 yard groups. I drove to Wyoming for a PD shoot. I had my rifle dialed in for where I live. so we went to the range before heading out. It was hot and 7600 feet my 200 yard Zero's were now 2 inches high. So I just dialed it down. I was going through about 300 rounds a day using two rifles.

You just do all your testing at the average temp of the majority of your shooting and let all the uniformed worry about TS! NO rifle maintanes a perfect ZERO every day of the year from one shooting competition to the next.