Whats your most difficult shooting skill to master?

Wind is a tough one for me, mainly because I am just getting into shooting at distances where wind makes a difference. Half a lifetime of archery hunting and woods hunting East of the MS river didn't do much for improving my long-range hunting skills.

The other thing I struggle with, and probably will never overcome is shooting with both eyes open. I am a right handed shooter and extremely left eye dominant. Even with a scope my left eye will take over my visual input making it virtually impossible for me to get a good sight picture. I am at the point where I am teaching myself to shoot left handed with shotguns because it has gotten so bad.

My wife is left handed, but right eye dominant! When she first started hunting, she and her ex weren't exactly rich, and had very little to choose from…..so, the family rifles were all right hand rifles. She was taught to shoot with her right hand, she's fast with the bolt and pretty darn accurate!

Of course she was young and totally inexperienced with firearms…..which probably helped her to learn quickly.

I said all of that, to say this, you can relearn to shoot weak-side….but, it may be difficult! I have done some weak-side shooting in practice, even killed a little Whitetail back in Louisiana, when repositioning in my tree stand would have spooked the deer! But, I don't practice often enough…..and it darn sure ain't natural! memtb

I'm not 100% sure of the terms you are using because they didn't have a word or phrase for the specific technique, but it was a swing through. They teach just like you see in the video, pick up the game in the scope, swing through and shoot as you hit the right spot, continuing the swing through the trigger pull and the shot exciting the barrel. In my experience, most of the animals I took on driven hunts, that spot was around the eye or the nose depending on distance and speed the animal was running.
Hope that answer your question.

I've often heard the term "follow through".…..which is necessary in wing shooting.

Growing up in the southern states, many folks hunt deer and hogs in front of dogs…..fast targets, thick timber/brush makes for some fast action and instinctive shooting! Also, a lot of misses, anyone that can say they've never missed….must sell used cars for a living! 🙀 memtb

I've often heard the term "follow through".…..which is necessary in wing shooting.

Growing up in the southern states, many folks hunt deer and hogs in front of dogs…..fast targets, thick timber/brush makes for some fast action and instinctive shooting! Also, a lot of misses, anyone that can say they've never missed….must sell used cars for a living! 🙀 memtb
True that! Franz-Albrecht is probably the most well known and most documented driven boar hunter in all of Europe and he misses and owns it. That said, he misses infrequently. Even your best trap and skeet world champions miss. Just like Franz though, the misses are very few.
I'd like to be half as good, but I'd need a lot more money and nothing else to do but eat, sleep and shoot every day: now that's a beautiful thought!

I agree. Even if it wasn't mandatory like it is there, I think a lot of people would jump at the chance to learn not only the great shooting skills taught, but also the game meat handling/care etc. One thing I already had lots of experience with, that isn't a huge part of the course is tracking wounded animals. They don't need it because a lot of hunters or lease holders, or hunting club have access to dogs specifically trained and licensed to track wounded game.
I would have put down good money for the type of training they mandate. Game processing/handling is extremely important too. Never seen anywhere that teaches that much.

My wife is left handed, but right eye dominant! When she first started hunting, she and her ex weren't exactly rich, and had very little to choose from…..so, the family rifles were all right hand rifles. She was taught to shoot with her right hand, she's fast with the bolt and pretty darn accurate!

Of course she was young and totally inexperienced with firearms…..which probably helped her to learn quickly.

I said all of that, to say this, you can relearn to shoot weak-side….but, it may be difficult! I have done some weak-side shooting in practice, even killed a little Whitetail back in Louisiana, when repositioning in my tree stand would have spooked the deer! But, I don't practice often enough…..and it darn sure ain't natural! memtb
I tried weak side shooting, really uncomfortable. A friend told me to put an eye patch on my good eye. It is uncomfortable to be sure. But does help.

I tried weak side shooting, really uncomfortable. A friend told me to put an eye patch on my good eye. It is uncomfortable to be sure. But does help.

I shoot pretty well, can actually see a little better…..but, must look like that monkey with the football! I'm slow and awkward….but pretty competent!

But, and there's always a but, I've never tried to shoot my hunting rifle (the deer was killed with a .308 Win.) from my weak-side! I've wanted to, and started to numerous times. It's embarrassing to admit it…..but I've been too 🐓💩 to touch off a round! Many years ago I got "scope eyebrow" numerous times with a moderately low recoil .375 H&H …..though it was caused primarily from a very cheap scope with minimal eye relief! The idea of getting "slapped" with a scope launched by almost 60 ft/lbs of recoil, somehow is not that appealing! 😂 memtb

I shoot pretty well, can actually see a little better…..but, must look like that monkey with the football! I'm slow and awkward….but pretty competent!

But, and there's always a but, I've never tried to shoot my hunting rifle (the deer was killed with a .308 Win.) from my weak-side! I've wanted to, and started to numerous times. It's embarrassing to admit it…..but I've been too 🐓💩 to touch off a round! Many years ago I got "scope eyebrow" numerous times with a moderately low recoil .375 H&H …..though it was caused primarily from a very cheap scope with minimal eye relief! The idea of getting "slapped" with a scope launched by almost 60 ft/lbs of recoil, somehow is not that appealing! 😂 memtb
In my experience, theres no such thing as moderately low recoil in a 375HH. Not gonna happen.🤪

My wife shot a bunch of 300 grainers through my old H&H (no brakes allowed in our home) ….thought it was pretty tame. But, that wasn't from a bench…..fired from sitting position! memtb
The first time I shot one of those I was 10 years old. At a wart hog. The hog won. Easily! It took 6 months for my sholder to mend.😝

How was the Wart Hog after the shot, it didn't recover…..did it? 😉 memtb
Yeah it did. I'm not sure who was more scared, the hog or me. The shot hit under it and caused so much dust, I lost sight of the hog-real fine white powder dust. The recoil sent me on my butt with NO chance of a followup. My friends dad was laughing so hard, he couldn't shoot either. Oh, did I mention the shot was only 80 feet? Wadya want, I was only 10 and it was first time hunting anything but birds. And it was my first shot with a 375HH.